In-Win IW-RS424-07

IMone

Greetings
I'm new to the forum, indeed brand new, I'm considering changing my synology nas with a machine that mounts unraid, for this I was evaluating some components including an In-Win IW-RS424-07 case, this rack case mounts a back plate thanks to which through an integrated multiplier, by connecting only 2 SAS cables with 8643 connector, it allows you to control all 24 disks,however, I read on this forum that a raid does not digest port multipliers so much, and HBA cards are advised, however you understand that having HBA cards with 6 8643 outputs would be rather inconvenient and expensive, can anyone tell me if the in-win solution whether it works or not, also because as a case it is quite expensive;

cost that would be repaid if I saved the HBAs with the 4 additional ports, but if it doesn't work I wouldn't know what to do with it

Thank you

• 1 month later...

As indicated in the name Unraid is not raid.

What unraid doesn't like is sata port multiplier. Unraid has to be presented the disk itself by the hba.

In the inwin case you have a integrated broadcom sas expander on the backplane which is perfect for Unraid. However your motherboard has to have an hba.

Depending on the "disks" you want, you need a sas hba  and a nvme hba. 

According to the manual you can use 24  2,5/3,5" sas/sata disks or 16 2,5/3,5" sas/sata disks and 8 nvme disks. So the hba(s) you need depend on your choice.

But no problem with the expander.