Sata Power Cable to Hard Drive Question

I have a Corsair 750W Power Supply - Single Rail

I've just added an 11th hard drive to my server, however I've used up all my SATA power connectors as well as the Molex connectors (I bought Molex to Sata adapters for them).

Would their be any power issues to the devices with adding a Molex to 2 Sata Adapter like this:

31654.jpg

The new drive that I am adding is a Seagate 2TB Advanced Format LP drive and it will become my new Parity drive.    If I hook it up to the next available sata data cable, it will be coming off my 8 port Sata expansion card.  Is their any performance concerns by running the parity drive here ?  If so, after I preclear it I could shift the sata cable over from the old parity drive to this one.

Thanks Guys!

I have a Corsair 750W Power Supply - Single Rail

I've just added an 11th hard drive to my server, however I've used up all my SATA power connectors as well as the Molex connectors (I bought Molex to Sata adapters for them).

Would their be any power issues to the devices with adding a Molex to 2 Sata Adapter like this:

31654.jpg

The new drive that I am adding is a Seagate 2TB Advanced Format LP drive and it will become my new Parity drive.    If I hook it up to the next available sata data cable, it will be coming off my 8 port Sata expansion card.   Is their any performance concerns by running the parity drive here ?   If so, after I preclear it I could shift the sata cable over from the old parity drive to this one.

Thanks Guys!

That splitter cable will work fine.  If you plan to continue expanding drives, you might consider getting three or four way splitter, so you are gaining more than one extra drive per splitter.

I always like to run my parity off of a MB slot.  Figured they are the highest performance and has been suggested that parity be your fastest drive.  Probably doesn't matter that much, though.  Good luck!

The online stores that I was looking at didn't seem to carry power splitters with more than 2 connectors.  I'll dig further, however realistically, after this drive I only have physical space inside the case for only 1 more HDD.  After that, I am not 100% sure what I will do next.

With regards to what port to plug the parity drive in to, what comes to thought with me is from years ago having my CD-RW and my HDD on the same IDE cable, the speed was greatly reduced when using both at the same time.    With current HDD and the SATA cables, that probably isn't an issue anymore because of how much more information a SATA2 cable can handle over how much a drive can give at up to 7200RPM (the fastest drive I have) or 5500'ish (my new parity drive).

The online stores that I was looking at didn't seem to carry power splitters with more than 2 connectors.  I'll dig further, however realistically, after this drive I only have physical space inside the case for only 1 more HDD.   After that, I am not 100% sure what I will do next.

With regards to what port to plug the parity drive in to, what comes to thought with me is from years ago having my CD-RW and my HDD on the same IDE cable, the speed was greatly reduced when using both at the same time.    With current HDD and the SATA cables, that probably isn't an issue anymore because of how much more information a SATA2 cable can handle over how much a drive can give at up to 7200RPM (the fastest drive I have) or 5500'ish (my new parity drive).

Here is a 3 way splitter from Monoprice.  Very inexpensive.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10226&cs_id=1022604&p_id=5187&seq=1&format=2

I forgot about monoprice...thanks! :)  I typically just look at Canadian Online Retailers ( to avoid border hassles and potential extra charges ), however we can get items under $25 in to Canada without and extra fee's, so getting cables is still practical.  The shipping time is longer, so I guess I need to decide if I want the item sooner than later, if so, then I will be paying a premium for it! 

Monoprice also sells the SATA breakout cable I need, but sadly the smallest one in stock is 1 meter long (that would be a lot of extra cables inside my machine).

Anyways...Monoprice is now bookmarked  :)

The extra length would be my only benefit as I only have 1 HDD bay remaining after this drive gets installed, so at most I will only need one extra SATA Power adapter :)

I figure after drive 12 gets installed, my next expansion will be to replace my two smaller drives (750GB and 1TB) with 2TB drives.  Then I need to look at either getting a fancy case that can hold a lot more drives ($$$$) or something else....just not sure what yet!  Trying to keep the cost reasonable and at the same time not have excessive amounts of hardware running all the time (my back room gets warm enough as is with the RPTV, Home Theatre components, PC and Server) :)

Archived