Replacing cache, mover running... forever (SOLVED)

Update: Turns out the mover was actually doing something. One hour wasn't enough to make a difference, but the entire night was. Got back this morning and there was just 300MB left on the cache drive. That I can manage.

In with the new, out with the old... so far it seems to work like it should. Sorry to bother you 😬

- - - - - - - - - -

A couple of days ago my cache SSD started throwing CRC errors. Luckily I just freed a larger SSD drive from my desktop system, which I was going to install this weekend. So of course today was the day the system properly f'ed up. VM nowhere to be found, dockers not starting, the stuff of nightmares. Breathe in, breathe out, let's replace the cache drive.

One of the things I would like to do first is move everything from the current cache drive to the array (which is still working perfectly). So stopped dockers, stopped VM and set the shares to all use cache and invoked the mover. That's been running for over an hour without much of a change on cache usage.

I'm aware that I'm using the cache disk for more than just cache... but I was expecting that either the mover would move stuff, or simply stop because it's 'done'. The rest would be my own problem. System log doesn't show any mover action... but I can't stop the array since the process is still running.

Don't want to do anything that might cause more harm, so going to let it run for the night. Honestly not expecting much progress in the morning. What would be a good (and somewhat safe) strategy to replace the disk?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by Kaastosti
  • Kaastosti changed the title to Replacing cache, mover running... forever (SOLVED)