Odd Private SMB Share Authentication Behaviour (Solved)

Hey everyone,

I encountered something strange with the username and password authentication of shares in Windows 11.

I always set all my shares to private so you have to enter the username and password of the specific share access user.

I set up my laptop with fresh Windows 11 installation and wanted to add all my shares as network drives and surprisingly didn't have to authenticate myself with username and password.

Therefore I went to my Unraid webinterface and checked the settings to see if it was really set to private and only certain users could access the shares via smb.

After a little test I found out that whenever the Windows userprofile had the same name as the share access user I don't have to authenticate myself, but when the name is different it asks me to enter a username and password.

Did I miss a setting, is this normal or not supposed to happen?

Because like this I would have to make sure, that the share access users have special names.

Edited by KevinM
Solved
11 hours ago, KevinM said:

After a little test I found out that whenever the Windows userprofile had the same name as the share access user I don't have to authenticate myself, but when the name is different it asks me to enter a username and password.

This is standard Windows behaviour.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

This is standard Windows behaviour.

That's sadly kinda unfortunate then.

But, thank you very much for your quick reply!

So, I guess if I ever want to make it more secure I would have to give the share access users names that are not easily guessable.

• KevinM changed the title to Odd Private SMB Share Authentication Behaviour (Solved)