Nextcloud permission problem with external storage

Go to solution Solved by SteSto86,

Hi everyone,

I post this here with solution because it was very hard to find the solution on the web and maybe it helps others to have a clear topic on that

Problem description:

When you set up a Nextcloud on UnRaid, you can integrate a user share with direct access in Nextcloud. This is a very neat feature if you want to access the data on your server directly through the nextcloud apps on the phone, website or computer. But if you create files or folders on the share through the App or WebUI, these files get wrong permission settings and you are not able the work with these folders/files with e.g. a SMB access in Windows. 

Solution:

You have to change the UMASK for external storage in the config.php of the nextcloud docker. The file is located in the nextcloud appdata share.

Go to the Shares tab on your server and navigate to appdata->"nextcloud"->www->nextcloud->config. The first "nextcloud" should be replaced by the name of the share you created for nextcloud.

Open the config.php and add following line: 'localstorage.umask' => 0002. The standard value here is 0022, which doesn't work for me.

Restart the docker container.

This thread pointed me in the right direction, special thanks to Dmitr1: https://help.nextcloud.com/t/external-storage-files-dirs-created-with-wrong-permissions/68969/23

I saw that this changes were integrated June 2022, so you need a recent update. Versions 24.0.9 or 25.0.3 should work. I have 25.0.4.

I tested with files/folders created through WebUI and Android app and the fix works for me.

• Solution

Solution:

You have to change the UMASK for external storage in the config.php of the nextcloud docker. The file is located in the nextcloud appdata share.

Go to the Shares tab on your server and navigate to appdata->"nextcloud"->www->nextcloud->config. The first "nextcloud" should be replaced by the name of the share you created for nextcloud.

Open the config.php and add following line: 'localstorage.umask' => 0002. The standard value here is 0022, which doesn't work for me.

Restart the docker container.

This thread pointed me in the right direction, special thanks to Dmitr1: https://help.nextcloud.com/t/external-storage-files-dirs-created-with-wrong-permissions/68969/23

I saw that this changes were integrated June 2022, so you need a recent update. Versions 24.0.9 or 25.0.3 should work. I have 25.0.4.

I tested with files/folders created through WebUI and Android app and the fix works for me.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

I was having an issue with my android phone app auto upload option giving me permission denied errors and attempting the fix of putting 'localstorage.umask' => 0002 in config.php file causes my nextcloud docker to show internal error on the main page and not work at all, had to remove it.