Replaced wireguard server (same ip) - now my remote windows 11 pc hangs when opening shares on Unraid (SMB issue?)

witenoize

I upgraded to Fios 2GB and my old OPNsense router was not up to the task, so I am using the stock Fios CR1000A router with port forwarding to the Unraid server for Wireguard VPN.

My previous OPNsense wireguard setup worked flawlessly on my remote pc for accessing the home network.

After creating new peer configs, all my other clients (ios, other windows pc's in the remote location etc) can connect and browse the shares from the remote site, but my windows 11 pc can't get past the share listing when connecting to the Unraid server.

When I click on a share in file explorer, I just get the endless spinning wheel of doom.

I am using the "Remote Access to Server" wireguard profile, and I have also tried "Remote Access to LAN" but I experience the same issues.

Comparing the Unraid peer config to my previous OPNsense peer config, there are no obvious variations in the files.

From some online digging I suspect this may have something to do with stored/cached Windows SMB network credentials.

On the remote PC I have tried the following:

• Adding share using "net use" instead of windows explorer
  • Setting "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters "AllowInsecureGuestAuth" to "1"
  • Removing all existing mapped drives
  • Removing server credentials from Credential Manager control panel
  • Running "net use * /delete" (there are no entries in the list)
  • Running "klist purge"
  • Restarting
  • Remote network = 192.168.168.0/24

On the Unraid I have verified:

• Unraid version 6.11.5
  • Other peers can connect and browse fine via wireguard
  • Network is bridged
  • Local server uses NAT = Yes (default)
  • Local tunnel network pool = 10.253.0.0/24
  • Local network = 10.10.10.0/24
  • Unraid IP = 10.10.10.210/32

I am at my wit's end with this. Any help appreciated!

[update] After spending way too many hours on this, I think the issue is related to port forwarding on the Verizon router. I ended up going with Tailscale and it is working flawlessly.

Edited by witenoize
status update