New house, new network setup - 10G/SFP+ question

Helmi

Hey everyone,

we're moving houses soon and we'll have a new network setup there. The upcoming switch will have two SFP+ ports. One of which will be used to connect to the dream machine, the other I thought of using for my Unraid Server.

I don't have any 10G/SFP experience so far so I was wondering if getting something like an Intel X520-DA1 and connect it via Direct-Access-Cable (DAC) should work well with Unraid. Primarily thinking about driver issues here - but maybe any other concerns too.

I'd be heappy to hear from experienced users on that end.

Thanks,

Helmi

I just purchased 2 Intel X520-DA2 (dual port) NICs and connected two unRAID servers directly (no switch). I'm using this connection as a secondary connection to backup my primary server. After installing the X520, it shows up in Network settings, no problems. Since you'd be using SFP+ transceivers your choice of cable is up to you. I went with a 3 meter Wiiteck SFP+ DAC copper cable for $20 on amazon (tinyurl.com/bkcercf5).

Edited by subagon
added URL
  • Like 1