Dual parity and reassigning disks

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi everyone. Everything is great with my system but I’ve got a situation that is bugging me enough to maybe try to fix it.

What is the procedure for moving my bottom 2 drives up one position each? Basically I’m “missing” disk 9…let’s just call this request my OCD working OT…see pic.

thanks!

IMG_0476.thumb.jpeg.0cc1cbb6c7dea05b98df9547439f4230.jpeg

• Solution

The issue you have to contend with is that the moment you move disks between slots this will invalidate parity2,  Parity1 does not care about slot number.

The procedure I would recommend is:

• If you have not done one recently do a parity check to ensure that parity is currently valid and no drives have issues.
  • Use Tools->New Config and select the option to retain all current assignments
  • Return to the Main tab and unassign parity2
  • Set the data drive assignments as you want them to end up
  • Click the Parity is Valid checkbox and start the array to commit the drive changes.  Ignore any message that suggests parity will be overwritten as it does not take into account the checkbox being ticked.
  • At this point the array should now be operational with all the data intact and parity1 in place for protection.  
  • If you have any shares that were including or excluding a drive whose position you have changed the settings will need amending appropriately.
  • Stop the array
  • Assign parity2
  • Start the array to rebuild parity2 based on your revised drive assignments.   This is likely to be the most lengthy step.

• Like 2