Drives show as missing?

In unRAID 4.6 a number of drives (6) are all of a sudden popping up as missing including the parity drive.  This happened as I was replacing a disabled drive.  The disabled drive was replace but was unable to format because of to many drives missing and an invalid configuration.  Could this be a controller or are all my drives going bad at the same time?  

Sounds a lot like you accidentally unplugged a power connection feeding multiple drives (or dislodged a controller card), or dislodged an breakout cable feeding the SATA drives.

All of these are highly suspect if you were moving things around when installing a new drive.

My advise: power down, verify mechanical connections.

Joe L.

In unRAID 4.6 a number of drives (6) are all of a sudden popping up as missing including the parity drive.  This happened as I was replacing a disabled drive.  The disabled drive was replace but was unable to format because of to many drives missing and an invalid configuration.  Could this be a controller or are all my drives going bad at the same time?  

My first thought is that while you were inside the case replacing the failed drive, that you might have knocked some cables and made other drives disappear.

But from earlier posts, looks like you have a Norco so there should not have been any reason to open the case, reducing this risk.  But symptoms still seem to point to a cabling problem IMO.  I would open the case and resecure all of the cable from controllers and motherboad to the drives cages.  Pay special attention to power splitters - as they have been known to cause drives to drop offline and/or cause intermittent problems.

Would be interesting to know if all of the drives you're having trouble with (the drive that you replaced to rebuild anda the drives that are dropping offline now) share some common attribute.  For example, all on the same data cable, all on the same power splitter, all in the same drive cage, all on the same controller.  This may help you focus your attention on the most likely suspects.

If this doesn't help, make sure to post a full syslog with your next post.

Thanks to all for the replies,

Yes I do have a 24 bay Norco so I replace all drives in front and without opening the case.  It wierd because as I said before the parity drive show as missing as well as drive 20 and other drives in between.  So the drives would be on different controllers - right?  20 show as missing where drive #19 is solid green.  Parity show as missing where drive #1 is solid green. 

Parity drive is a 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000.  Then I have some 2TB Seagates and a few 2TB WD20EARS.  The drive that I replaced was a Seagate.

I will open up the case when I get home tonight and report back with the findings.  Thanks again.

CASE Norco 4224

MOTHERBOARD SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL

CPU Intel Core i3-540

RAM Kingston 4GB

EXPANSION CARD SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8

SAS CABLES NORCO Internal Multilane SAS Cable

SAS CABLE NORCO (Reverse breakout) Cable

SATA CARD SATA2 Serial ATA II PCI-Express

PSU CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W

Running at full load - 20 data drives + 1 Parity and + 1 Cache drive.

Each backplane on the Norco will allow for 4 drives connected. If all the drives that are missing are on the same row, look for cabling issues from that backplane. If the drives are all in different rows, it could be a controller problem.

Drive number assigned has nothing to do with physical location of drive, unless you specifically set it up that way.

I would first figure out what drives are at which location, then go from there.

I have tried to reseat all cables and cards.  Same thing is happening a few drives are showing as missing including the parity drive.  Attached is my recent syslog.  When booting up it runs through the controller test for controller 1 and controller 2, it recognize the hitachi drive which is the parity drive and all pass.  Boots up fine straight to the unRAID login.  However, when I open the unRAID menu it there show the drives as missing and the array does not start.

syslog-2011-08-07.txt

OK - I have been messing around with this all night.  I made some progress and at the same time came across another problem.  First the progress.  I found out how to get the drives to not show as missing.  It's strange to me.  In the unRAID menu under Devices all the missing drives at first glance has a drive string assigned to it.  Looking closer all of them says (no drive) at the end of the drive string.  The drive string looked wierd.  So I selected the pull down menu beside each one and was able to assign the correct drive to each and unRAID accepted that and turned them all green. 

Now the next issue.  While doing all this a second drive failed.  #16 - this is in addition to the first one #12 that was replaced but did not get a chance to rebuild before all the drives start showing as missing.  Now I have two replaced drives #16 (when it finishes it's preclear) and #12.  #12 sets there as a new drive that has not been formatted yet because of too many missing drives.  Now when #16 finishes it's preclear - I should be able to assign the new drive to (sdo).

What happens next?  Will #12 and #16 be able to get rebuiled once both are formatted? Have I lost the data on both drives? 

OK - I have been messing around with this all night.  I made some progress and at the same time came across another problem.  First the progress.  I found out how to get the drives to not show as missing.  It's strange to me.  In the unRAID menu under Devices all the missing drives at first glance has a drive string assigned to it.  Looking closer all of them says (no drive) at the end of the drive string.  The drive string looked wierd.  So I selected the pull down menu beside each one and was able to assign the correct drive to each and unRAID accepted that and turned them all green. 

Now the next issue.  While doing all this a second drive failed.  #16 - this is in addition to the first one #12 that was replaced but did not get a chance to rebuild before all the drives start showing as missing.  Now I have two replaced drives #16 (when it finishes it's preclear) and #12.  #12 sets there as a new drive that has not been formatted yet because of too many missing drives.  Now when #16 finishes it's preclear - I should be able to assign the new drive to (sdo).

What happens next?  Will #12 and #16 be able to get rebuiled once both are formatted? Have I lost the data on both drives? 

1.  When re-constructing a failed array, you should almost NEVER re-format a drive.  (to do so admits defeat, you've lost the ability to reconstruct it)

If multiple drives are failing, look for something common.  Is your power supply up to the task? Has it failed?

What specific make/model power supply are you using?  What specific mix of green/non-green drives are you powering with that supply? Ihow many of each)

If you are formatting a drive, you've lost the data on it.  If you are clearing a drive, you've lost the data on it.   

You can re-construct ONE drive, but ONLY if ALL the other data drives and the parity drive are functional.

Joe L.

Joe,

I am only preclearing and formatting new drives.  I still have the failed drives.  They are all green drives.  The Power supply is a CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W I think it's up to the task - it has not failed.

You said

"You can re-construct ONE drive, but ONLY if ALL the other data drives and the parity drive are functional."

So I guess since I have 2 failed drives the data on both will be lost?  Will it let me re-construct one and then possibly the other?

Joe,

I am only preclearing and formatting new drives.  I still have the failed drives.  They are all green drives.  The Power supply is a CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W I think it's up to the task - it has not failed.

You said

"You can re-construct ONE drive, but ONLY if ALL the other data drives and the parity drive are functional."

Correct.

So I guess since I have 2 failed drives the data on both will be lost?  Will it let me re-construct one and then possibly the other?

Yes, both will be lost.  Additionally, until you re-calc parity on the remaining set of drives, they are no longer protected.

Are you sure the two drives have failed though?  They will have been taken out of service if a write to them fails.  Nothing will put them back in unless you force unRAID to use them as their own replacements.  Can you get a SMART report from either?

Yes,

They both would fail on boot and make clicking sounds.  Both also had red dots beside them.  This is OK.  I have backups of both drives on external 2TB USB drives.  Now I guess I need to know the best next steps.  After the preclear is done on both - Should I format and add to the arry or run a parity check before the format?

Yes,

They both would fail on boot and make clicking sounds.  Both also had red dots beside them.  This is OK.  I have backups of both drives on external 2TB USB drives.  Now I guess I need to know the best next steps.  After the preclear is done on both - Should I format and add to the arry or run a parity check before the format?

I personally would run a parity build on the remaining good drives and get a healthy array back ASAP. I believe this would require you to initialize the array configuration. You then add the new drives once they are ready.

Peter

Yes,

I personally would run a parity build on the remaining good drives and get a healthy array back ASAP. I believe this would require you to initialize the array configuration. You then add the new drives once they are ready.

Peter

That is what I would do as well.

Below please view disk 16.  It has two disk assigned to it.  Under unMenu it says the top one = old disk assigned to it and the bottom one = new disk assigned to it.  I have unassigned it rebooted and tried to assigned just the new disk to it.  It will not let go of the old disk setting, therefore telling me "Too many wrong and/or missing disks!" How can I get 16 to be assigned to the new disk only and get rid of the old disk config.  I rebooted a number of times already.

LIMEtechnology

Server name: Darryl_Jacksons_Tower

Comments: Media server

unRAID Server Pro

Main | Users | Shares | Settings | Devices version: 4.6

Disk status

Model / Serial No. Temperature Size Free Reads Writes Errors

parity Hitachi_HDS72202_JK11A8B9HVGXZF 38°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk1 ST32000542AS_5XW16YS5 36°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk2 ST32000542AS_5XW13G4P 34°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk3 ST32000542AS_5XW1NSFL 33°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk4 ST32000542AS_5XW1F0S2 35°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk5 WDC_WD20EARS-00J_WD-WCAYY0233190 36°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk6 WDC_WD20EARS-00J_WD-WCAYY0234454 35°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk7 WDC_WD20EARS-00M_WD-WCAZA0753888 35°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk8 WDC_WD20EARS-00M_WD-WCAZA0713298 35°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk9 WDC_WD20EARS-00M_WD-WMAZA1077038 34°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk10 WDC_WD20EARS-00M_WD-WMAZA1162805 35°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk11 WDC_WD20EARS-00M_WD-WMAZA1176843 34°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk12 ST2000DL003-9VT1_5YD120RZ 33°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk13 ST32000542AS_5XW1Z8QK 37°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk14 ST32000542AS_5XW1XKKD 36°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk15 ST32000542AS_5XW1ZTEF 35°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk16 ST2000DL003-9VT1_5YD4PTGK

ST32000542AS_5XW2AE4S 34°C 1,953,514,552

1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk17 ST32000542AS_5XW2HPMP 36°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk18 ST2000DL003-9VT1_5YD0QDE1 33°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk19 ST2000DL003-9VT1_5YD161BQ 33°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

disk20 ST32000542AS_5XW1VW5A 35°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

cache Hitachi_HDS7220_JK11A8B9HV3T9F 38°C 1,953,514,552 - - - -

Command area

Stopped. Invalid configuration. Too many wrong and/or missing disks!

Spin Up will immediately spin up all disks.

Spin Down will immediately spin down all disks.

Reboot will activate a system reset.

You will probably need to set a new disks configuration.

To do that you need to stop the array, log in and type:

initconfig

and then respond with "Yes" (capital "Y", lower case "es")

Then, you can refresh the unRAID management screen.  All the drives should show as "blue"

When you then start the array it will begin the process of calculating parity.  Let it finish.

Initializing a new configuration of disks immediately invalidates parity calculated on the old configuration.

Archived