2.5GBe (updated)/Zyxel Switches

tyranuus

Hi Guys

I've been wanted to overhaul my network to 2.5GBe for some time for a bit of 'futureproofing' and also as my laptops and desktops for the last 4-5 years have all been 2.5Gbe enabled. My router is also 2.5GBe on LAN AND WAN for when I get FTTP higher than 1GBps.

What had been putting that off was the cost of switching equipment, which was typically still £200+, especially for 8 way switches.

Anyway, finally Amazon UK is doing an offer on 2.5GB Zyxel Switches, (5 port for 69.99/8 port for 99.99), so I am planning to make a move. 5/10GB is still way too expensive in the UK and it'll never fly past the wife; most of my network is ready, it just needs switches and my servers moved over. (I'll need 4 so it adds up).

I had been digging through posts, and most information seemed to be either quite outdated, or using the Realtek NICs which seem not particularly great on Linux. If I am reading correctly, the Intels aren't great either, but its either them or Marvell/Aquantia to get acceptable performance.

For what its worth, the Zyxel kit is meant to support flow control. I can find Intel 2.5gbe NICs on Amazon for around £20-30, so pretty acceptable.

Is my understanding above correct? 

Edited by tyranuus

I managed to pick up a last-left generic 10gbe NIC based on an Aquantia 107 chip for £45 from Amazon, which seemed like a bit of a bargain. Doing a quick check on the TXA074 looks like it's a legit Chinese card based in the chipset that usually goes for a lot more.

Assuming that arrives working correctly, based on everything I've read that is ideal as a server card. If there are any issues, I can at least go via Amazon.

Should be server 10gbe card, 2x 8 port and 2x 5 port for sub £400, with arrival times across the next couple of weeks :)

Edited by tyranuus
  • 2 weeks later...

Card arrived and I'm now seeing throughput to the SSD mounted standalone in the server of just shy of 300MBps read/write sequential, around 260-270MBps read/ 220-260 write on layered 4k, and around 19MBps read on raw 4k q1t1, albeit write is around 9MBps, so below what I'd get connected locally but nothing to shake a stick at.

I can only imagine this improving when the samba performance regressions are fixed :)

Also shows that if you get proper switches and at least a half decent NIC for your server you can get good results out of 2.5gbe.

Also means once the final switches arrive, we will be able to max out the 1GBps internet connection and still have 150MBps+ capacity available for other traffic from the NAS or between devices. Win!

Edited by tyranuus