Removing several smaller drives

glave

I'm removing 3 drives from my array and adding 1 large one. I followed instructions from the post linked from the wiki (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2088.0) however, when I go back to the main page, I do not have the restore button at all, and the start button is greyed out with a message: Too many wrong and/or missing disks!

Has this process changed?

The restore button was removed quite a number of releases ago.  Too many users thought it restored data (and it did not)

It was replaced with the "initconfig" command line command.

Aahhh, good call, I could see that easily happening.

Ok, to be clear then, I have removed 3 drives, which now show a status of missing. Next I should telnet in and run 'initconfig' and then start the array.

Can I add my new blank drive before I do this and add it to the array, or should I wait until I've shrank the array, rebuilt, and then add the new drive?

Aahhh, good call, I could see that easily happening.

Ok, to be clear then, I have removed 3 drives, which now show a status of missing. Next I should telnet in and run 'initconfig' and then start the array.

Can I add my new blank drive before I do this and add it to the array, or should I wait until I've shrank the array, rebuilt, and then add the new drive?

Before starting a process like this you should do a parity check to ensure the array is healthy before you start.

Running initconfig on the latter 5.0 beta works differently than with 4.7. With 4.7 the array configuration stays intact but the icons turn blue. With 5.0 betas, initconfig can cause all of the slots to be emptied, requiring you to reassign them. To do that a screenshot of the old array config is very helpful.

Make sure you preclear any new disk before adding it to your array. If you've done that, it won't make much difference if you rebuild parity with or without the new disk.

Archived