A strange problem...server won't boot [SOLVED]

jdmlight

So I have a strange problem with my unRAID server.  I noticed today that I was unable to access any of my shares, nor the web interface, nor telnet.  I then went and connected a monitor and keyboard to my server and made sure it was connected properly (it had the correct IP address and could ping other computers).  I was able to perform a safe shutdown (with the powerdown command), but upon reboot it gets stuck here:

IMG_0074.JPG

I apologize for the awful quality image, I couldn't find my real camera so I had to use my iPod Touch.

I am using unRAID 4.6.  I can't get access to the syslog unfortunately, unless it's stored on the flash somewhere.  I haven't had any recent hardware changes, the most recent was about two months ago when I swapped motherboards so that I could use a smaller case - I moved from a full ATX to a microATX motherboard and case.  I would say I was pretty much through the second test level from the hardware compatibility list: I had five drives (4 data 1 parity), had successfully completed a parity check initially, then at least one more (I try to run a parity check once a month).  I certainly copied at least 10% of the data to/from the server.  I don't believe that's the root of the problem though, as it ran fine for two months.

I think I've posted everything about the problem that I can, but if I missed something please ask.

Exact same place everytime? Put the usb stick in a windows box and chkdsk.

Different places? Choose memtest from unRAID's boot menu. Let it run overnight.

I ran chkdsk first because it wouldn't hurt to run that anyway.  No errors.

I let memtest run for 3 hours (~10 passes).  No errors.  I'll let it run overnight just to be sure.

It seems to freeze in exactly the same place every time, but once it did get farther.  Still froze on downloading a file with something related to Perl though.

It appears to be hanging up while downloading a file for email. That certainly isn't a stock unRAID issue. It appears you have a problem with something you have added.

Peter

From what I remember, I had installed unMenu and FEMUR.  I don't think I had any other addons installed, though it's been a while since I configured this server.  Is there a way to look at what addons I have installed?  Alternatively, is there some sort of "safe mode" that I could use to disable all addons?  Or an easy way to disable them?

While browsing my flash, wouldn't you know it: I've got a syslog!  This would be the syslog from when I moved to the new motherboard until now.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14888703/syslog-20110809-232553.txt

Edit the go file. There will be 2 lines at the top, first a comment starting with "#" saying something along the lines of starting the unRAID interface and then the command line to do so below it. You can delete or comment out all the other lines below these to get rid of anything else starting.

Peter

I think I found the problem.  So I uncommented unMenu from my go file, and my array booted just fine.  I could access the web GUI and shares for a few minutes.  But then everything would freeze again.  I decided to copy everything off of the flash drive, reformat, and copy it all back on.  Copying files off of the flash drive went as expected, somewhere around 20-30 MB/s.  Reformat took forever though, and files copied back on at around 300 KB/s. :o

So I think my flash is getting close to the end of its life.  How do I transfer a plus license from this flash drive to a new one?

I think I found the problem.  So I uncommented unMenu from my go file, and my array booted just fine.  I could access the web GUI and shares for a few minutes.  But then everything would freeze again.  I decided to copy everything off of the flash drive, reformat, and copy it all back on.  Copying files off of the flash drive went as expected, somewhere around 20-30 MB/s.  Reformat took forever though, and files copied back on at around 300 KB/s. :o

So I think my flash is getting close to the end of its life.  How do I transfer a plus license from this flash drive to a new one?

Once you are booted and accessing the shares the flash drive is not involved AT ALL.  It is very unlikely to be your problem.

Your issue sounds a lot more like bad RAM, or a bad CPU heatsink or a bad power supply to me.

I'd start with a memory test preferably overnight.  Double check in the BIOS that the memory clock-speed, timings, and voltage are set correctly.  Very often the BIOS gets it wrong if left to set those parameters automatically, especially on premium RAM. 

Joe L.

Once you are booted and accessing the shares the flash drive is not involved AT ALL.   It is very unlikely to be your problem.

Your issue sounds a lot more like bad RAM, or a bad CPU heatsink or a bad power supply to me.

I'd start with a memory test preferably overnight.  Double check in the BIOS that the memory clock-speed, timings, and voltage are set correctly.  Very often the BIOS gets it wrong if left to set those parameters automatically, especially on premium RAM.   

Joe L.

Well thanks for that advice.  I ran memtest for 24 hours without issue.  However, I opened my case (with the power on), wiggled some cables, and found out that at least one of the wires coming from the power supply is bad (hard drive attached to it turned off/back on when I touched it).  So my power supply is bad. This was the first inexpensive PSU I've ever bought, and I'll never buy a cheap one again. Now I'm off to go buy a nice Corsair or Seasonic single-rail PSU.

Archived