General Unraid server questions

Hello, I stumbled upon unraid. Currently i use Linux and mdadm for raid but thought i'd give unraid a try.

Currently i have a test setup using the free 3 HDD license.

I am testing out unraid and may buy few licenses because i may plan to use it in a real production environment.

So i have a few questions.

1) If the flash drive fails and you have no backup it seems you are dead in the water unless you make a backup of it. But What file/conf do you have to backup?

- Im trying to see if in a production environment if the flash drive were to fail what would be the downtime.

1a) Can you just copy/paste the backup file to the new flash drive, boot and go? or how is the procedure?

2) I read that unraid is not hardware dependent. I read it as if the motherboard were to fail i could swap out to a different motherboard (not the same kind, say different brand) it would still work as long as the config file is there. Is this correct?

3) When I started up the test system which contained a opteron, 3 sata HDDs, and gigabit nics it went to the login screen.

I went to another computer on the network and did "http://tower" and it didn't go anywhere, it actually went to like tower.com or searched tower. I did this in chrome, Firefox, and Opera.

There was no option or what not to figure out what IP was assigned to the unraid server so i had to get the mac off the bios and go into my router and see what IP was assigned to it.

Is there an easier way to get to the config panel than this? in the beginning, because i saw that you can set the static ip inside once you get there.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, I stumbled upon unraid. Currently i use Linux and mdadm for raid but thought i'd give unraid a try.

I am testing out unraid and may buy few licenses because i may plan to use it in a real production environment.

1) If the flash drive fails and you have no backup it seems you are dead in the water unless you make a backup of it. But What file/conf do you have to backup?

Basically the "config" folder. (and anything else you might have loaded as extra packages typically in a user-created "packages" directory.

- Im trying to see if in a production environment if the flash drive were to fail what would be the downtime.

Actually, until you reboot no down time.  The OS runs in RAM.  Until you reboot or stop the array to re-configure (where it needs to write to the flash drive) you'll still be running.

1a) Can you just copy/paste the backup file to the new flash drive, boot and go? or how is the procedure?

Basically, yes, all but the .key file that is tied to the GUID of the flash drive itself.

2) I read that unraid is not hardware dependent. I read it as if the motherboard were to fail i could swap out to a different motherboard (not the same kind, say different brand) it would still work as long as the config file is there. Is this correct?

Yes.

3) When I started up the test system which contained a opteron, 3 sata HDDs, and gigabit nics it went to the login screen.

I went to another computer on the network and did "http://tower" and it didn't go anywhere, it actually went to like tower.com or searched tower. I did this in chrome, Firefox, and Opera.

There was no option or what not to figure out what IP was assigned to the unraid server so i had to get the mac off the bios and go into my router and see what IP was assigned to it.

Is there an easier way to get to the config panel than this? in the beginning, because i saw that you can set the static ip inside once you get there.

Thanks in advance.

ifconfig eth0

I have done this myself.  I went from an Intel board to an ASUS board running an AMD processor without any issues.  I have also changed drive interface cards (for the extra ports beyond the motherboard ports) from PCI-IDE cards to PCIe SATA cards (of two kinds) without issue.

In my view, this hardware independence and the ease with which you can add additional drives to the array are two of unRAIDs best features.

Regards,

Stephen

Basically the "config" folder. (and anything else you might have loaded as extra packages typically in a user-created "packages" directory.

Actually, until you reboot no down time.   The OS runs in RAM.  Until you reboot or stop the array to re-configure (where it needs to write to the flash drive) you'll still be running.

Basically, yes, all but the .key file that is tied to the GUID of the flash drive itself.

I really hadn't thought about this one before.  If you do loose your flash drive, I know you have to go through getting a replacement .key file or buy a new one.  However, if you don't have a backup of the config files will you just end up having to re-assign the drives and rebuild parity, or would the new build of unRAID want to re-format and clear all the data drives?

Actually, until you reboot no down time.   The OS runs in RAM.  Until you reboot or stop the array to re-configure (where it needs to write to the flash drive) you'll still be running.

I really hadn't thought about this one before.  If you do loose your flash drive, I know you have to go through getting a replacement .key file or buy a new one.  However, if you don't have a backup of the config files will you just end up having to re-assign the drives and rebuild parity, or would the new build of unRAID want to re-format and clear all the data drives?

just re-assign and rebuild parity.  you do not clear or format or lose data.

Archived