DDR4 RAM speed/timing/CL for peak stability

Kawada13

Hi all!

This is probably a super basic question, but I have had trouble finding a definitive answer.

What is the maximum ddr4 non-XMP RAM speed/timing/cl I should be using in Unraid?

I understand that in the interest of stability, I do not want to run any ram overclock, even XMP - but I can't figure out if that means 2400 MHz, 2666 MHz, or even some RAM has standard 3200 MHz.

Also, what about best ram timing and CL for peak stability?

I am making a new build (docker, jellyfin, maybe 1 VM) so far the parts are:

I3-12100

MSI B660M Mortar Ddr4

3x 8TB HDD

Corsair RM 550x

2x 16gb RAM DIMM?Type unknown?

I only want to buy ram capable of the speed i will be using, but not sure what speed/timing/CL that i should get.

Thank you all who are so much more knowledgable than I!

Your CPU supports up to 3200MT/s, so you should use that, standard CL for 3200MT/s RAM is 22, anything below that usually needs XMP to use it, doesn't mean it won't run stable but it is an overclock, for server would recommend RAM with 3200MT/s standard JEDEC timings, probably you wouldn't notice any performance difference anyway

Thank you very much Jorge!

That is super info, very much appreciated!

I am now considering if I need to use dual channel, or if I can get a single 32GB module, so that I can eventually upgrade all the way to 128 GB using all 4 slots. 

Is unraid affected much by single/dual channel? 

Thank you so much you are very helpful!

@JorgeBThank you again for your help!

I ended up ordering 2x32GB - 3200 MT/s 22CAS timing. Now hopefully ill build a server thatll run 5-10 years without upgrading!

Really appreciate your help, I also learnt in the meantime the difference betweeen MT/s and Mhz, all because of your correct usage!

Thank you again!

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...