We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

[Solved] Looking for Suggestions Before Starting Array for First Time

First I'd like to thank the community for making it to this point, between reading the wealth of information available and the few question I've asked already.... everyone has been very helpful and I've been able to find an answer is a short amount of time.  I've ran three preclear cycles on my first four drives and now I'm running three preclears on my last three drives.  Here in a few days I should be ready to start the array for the first time, being that this is a new build and I have no data stored yet, is there any suggestions on certain things I should do, add-on, scripts, etc.  before starting.  Below are my current specs and what I've done....

- Running 5.0-beta10

- Will be using one HITACHI Deskstar H3IK30003272SW 3TB 7200 for parity and one HITACHI Deskstar H3IK30003272SW 3TB 7200 for a cache drive

- Data drives are five HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM drives

- Have ran (still running) three preclears on each drive using option -A

- Have installed the following add-ons/scripts

- apcupsd 3.14.3

- ssmtp_2.62

- Clean Powerdown

- screen-4.0.3

- unmenu 1.5

I've read about a mover script for the cache drive, a script to have monthly parity check done, recall reading an article about "Trust Parity Drive" procedures and am not sure if that's something I should do or if it's only for bad drives.  You probably get the idea just looking to see if there is anything I'm missing major that I should do, or if there are just items that aren't necessary needed but would make life easier using unRAID.  Thanks for the input

I've read about a mover script for the cache drive, a script to have monthly parity check done, recall reading an article about "Trust Parity Drive" procedures and am not sure if that's something I should do or if it's only for bad drives.  You probably get the idea just looking to see if there is anything I'm missing major that I should do, or if there are just items that aren't necessary needed but would make life easier using unRAID.  Thanks for the input

None of the mover-script-addons in unMENU have any purpose in the 5.0beta10 version of unRAID.  Their "fixes" are already incorporated.

Rock on, thanks for the reply........... Once I finish up completing the preclears on the other drives I'll search around and see what else is out there, just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something big, or if there are things that are a lot easier to implement when the array isn't loaded down with data.

I would take a look at "powerdown on overheat" and the monthly parity check, both in unmenu

Also look into cache_dirs on the forums.  That last one eats up a lot of ram but saves drive spinups while folder browsing.

Otherwise. It sounds like you did your research. 

There's no reason you can't "Start" right now. There is no requirement to have every drive ready before you start the array. You can easily add new pre-cleared drives at any time. In fact, it might be a good idea to try it out and get a feel for the user share settings and operation before going full-bore into data transfer mode.

The other posts have mentioned the high temp power down. There is other stuff you can install, but you only if you would actually use it and we're really not psychic and can't just know what you might want or don't want.

Peter

First I'd like to thank the community for making it to this point, between reading the wealth of information available and the few question I've asked already.... everyone has been very helpful and I've been able to find an answer is a short amount of time.  I've ran three preclear cycles on my first four drives and now I'm running three preclears on my last three drives.  Here in a few days I should be ready to start the array for the first time, being that this is a new build and I have no data stored yet, is there any suggestions on certain things I should do, add-on, scripts, etc.  before starting.  Below are my current specs and what I've done....

- Running 5.0-beta10

- Will be using one HITACHI Deskstar H3IK30003272SW 3TB 7200 for parity and one HITACHI Deskstar H3IK30003272SW 3TB 7200 for a cache drive

- Data drives are five HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM drives

- Have ran (still running) three preclears on each drive using option -A

- Have installed the following add-ons/scripts

- apcupsd 3.14.3

- ssmtp_2.62

- Clean Powerdown

- screen-4.0.3

- unmenu 1.5

I've read about a mover script for the cache drive, a script to have monthly parity check done, recall reading an article about "Trust Parity Drive" procedures and am not sure if that's something I should do or if it's only for bad drives.  You probably get the idea just looking to see if there is anything I'm missing major that I should do, or if there are just items that aren't necessary needed but would make life easier using unRAID.  Thanks for the input

Don't run a beta. There is a reason why it is still beta. Run the stable.

Archived