Ubuntu VM Won't Run Correctly After Power Cycle + 6.12

Hi all,

I have an Ubuntu VM running my unifi controller, which is set to auto start. When I rebooted after the upgrading to 6.12, my browser wouldn't load the GUI, so I thought there was an issue, and hard power cycled (it turns out Firefox had "conveniently" redirected me to https). In any case, I'm thinking that the hard power cycle did something to the vdisk for the VM.

In the VNC console, I see a bunch of fairly standard looking output, and then it starts complaining about waiting for local filesystem, and a repeated "madm: No arrays found in config file" error. And then it dumps me to a budybod initramfs terminal.

In the VM, the command ls /dev/disk/by-id displays only the QEMU DVD drive.

I've tried using ddrescue and qemu-img convert to repair the disk, but to no avail. I've attached a screenshot of end state of the terminal window of the VM logs. Any advice would be welcome.

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 2.09.35 PM.png

unifi logs.rtf

• 4 weeks later...

Hey OP,

I've been searching for hours for this answer, so hopefully I can help here.  I am having the same issue as you.  After having other VMs work correctly and going through many forum posts about Ubuntu.  I even tried booting from a different disk just to have it tell me the new disk couldn't be found either.  At that point I turned my attention to unRAID as it seemed that the version of Ubuntu I was running was too old to understand the storage controller unRAID was using.

I went into my VM's config in unRAID and flipped the "Machine" version to a lower version and it booted.  I was using Q35-3.1 when it was failing and flipping it to Q35-2.4 seemed to work.  This is with an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS VM.  Hopefully that helps you as well.

Edited by nightreap3r
  • 5 months later...