Dedicated Unraid Server

ryans081

Hey Everyone,

Currently, I have an i7-8700k which has been rock solid for the past 5 years. But I have come across a Gen9 DL380 (12 bays) and was going to build second Unraid server as straight storage.

Initial plan was to VLAN the two Unraid along with my PC on a 10GB switch. Then I started thinking. Which is bad as this usually means it will cost me more money.

While my i7-8700k has been great, I am noticing some performance issues when Plex is transcoding. Also the power consumption of the DL380 is making me second guess.

So, I have a few questions and need some clarifications.

Are there benefits of having a “dedicated” Unraid server for dockers? This would be a smaller build with performance and stability in mind, rather than storage volume.

My thought process in this is that it would be far easier to update/replace this dedicated Unraid server without having to mess around with the “storage” Unraid servers.

I would need to build two Unraid servers, which I am fine with. I am more curious if there are some downsides or drawbacks to this (besides the cost).

Thanks,

Ryan

This idea also crossed my mind but I don't realy see the point in a 'storage-only server' and a seperate 'docker-only server'. You need to service/maintain an extra server, you add an extra point of failure (lots of point actually), more energy consuption and on top of that, if for instance your storage server is down, your docker server cannot reach it so it's also just sitting duck's and vice versa.

A second unraid server could be useful if you want to run a router os vm, a proxy manager, all the networking stuff etc. or as a backup server.

If all you need is a media/storage server for home use then i would not bother with a second server unless it's a backup server.

• Upvote 1