Critique my new build!

phatass

Hi all,

Planning an upgrade of my Asrock C2550d4i build from 2017.

Am running a Plex server, 15-20 dockers, Shinobi CCTV and use the NAS for storing important documents from our small business. Would also like to set up 1 single Windows VM to run some business applications on. Adding Shinobi really pushed the slow processor past what is was made for and was only able to direct play from Plex.

I am quite green in the Unraid/server world and therefore hoped that some or more of you would comment on my planned components below.

Would really like to build an efficient server as energy prices here in Denmark are somewhat crazy.

Parts list (I own the spinning drives already):

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Pro RS/D4 ATX (Bought for the 8 SATA connectors and saw others here using it)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Cashe)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Red 12 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Parity #1)
Storage: Western Digital Red 12 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive (Parity #2)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

Any comments/proposals would be greatly appreciated! ❤️

Here are some of the questions I have been having a hard time figuring out by myself.

1. The MOBO has been chosen for its 8 SATA connectors but is also interested in learning how to use PowerTop and optimize power consumption. Can read here that many of the ones here on the forum swear by MSI MOBOs for this for some reason. Should I go for a MSI MOBO instead (max. 6 SATA ports) with an HBA of some sort instead of the ASRock board?
  2. Chosing "an efficient" processor. Options: i5-13500T, i5-13500, i5-13600, i5-13500K. As far as I understand the "paper TDP" doesn't matter for anything else than chosing a cooler. Therefore, it is very hard for me to figure out what the most efficient processor would be for a build like this. Any comments input would be greatly appreciated.
  3. Cashe drive: Do I need a large drive? Do I need additional drives?
  4. Did I miss something else?

Really hope for some input.

Thanks a ton ❤️ 

Br,

Phatty 

• 3 weeks later...

It's cool that the Z790 actually support 8 SATA ports (https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/sku/229721/intel-z790-chipset/specifications.html).

The motherboard uses a Realtek LAN which many will tell you to stay away from.  So far I've been lucky (?) since it's worked for me on my one server but I might be one of the lucky few.  Generally it won't work because the Linux driver has problems.  I once installed OPNsense on a mini-PC using Realtek and it kept crashing.

The motherboard has 4 M2 slots which is also pretty cool.  I see that you plan to get 4 cards for those.  Consider bumping up the size since 1TB and 2TB are good prices (bang for your buck).

Some people really like ASRock.  Give them a try.

CPU: Are you trying for efficiency or for capability.  Make sure it can do virtualization and has transcoding capabilities.  Read about that in other places here on this forum.  I would argue that it's the hardware features that you should be really interested in.

You have an odd set of hard drives.  I'm assuming that you have these lying around somewhere already otherwise I would just buy some 18TB drives (best bang for your buck).  Even if you get three of them you're farther ahead.

On 6/26/2023 at 8:12 AM, phatass said:

Should I go for a MSI MOBO instead (max. 6 SATA ports) with an HBA of some sort instead of the ASRock board?

Cashe drive: Do I need a large drive? Do I need additional drives?

Don't use a HBA card if power efficiency is a priority.

be quiet! Straight Power 11 is a multi-rail unit - get a single rail PSU instead.

The cache drive(s):

The cache drive article is good but I would say the following:

• The cache drive serves two main purposes.
    • It provides storage of things that need good performance like docker images.
      • As the article above states, having 50GB to 200GB is good for this need.
    • It provides a buffer for transferring files.
      • Transfer across network Since the mover runs every hour it's good to have 450GB for this (1000Mbps * 60 seconds * 60 minutes / 8 = 450GB/hr).
      • Internal file transfer is another story but how often will that happen?

So 500GB is good but barely.  1TB is much nicer and 2TB is great.  The article concurs.

How many cache drives are needed?  I would say two because the cache is basically mirrored.  So two is better than one.  Do you need three or four?  Not really but you could use the extra drives to add to the first cache (and its mirror) or you can add a second cache (one cache for dockers and such and the other cache for file transfers).

1 hour ago, TimTheSettler said:

Single is better than multi?  I thought the idea was to have dedicated rails for dedicated power?

A properly designed "true" multi-rail PSU is technically safer, but only in very specific, very unlikely to happen situations.

The multi-rail tech can only be beneficial in a system loaded with multiple components drawing lots and lots of power.

But it's also more complex and expensive as compared to the similarly built (quality-wise) PSU.

Not needed in a home system, particularly NAS.

Edited by Lolight
  • Thanks 1