SOLVED - Help request - Tried to downgrade from 6.12.1 to 6.11.5 and server is completely down.

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

So the 6.12.x firmwares have caused serious instability and performance issues with one of my two servers.  I finally decided I'd had enough and this morning I ran mover, reformatted my cache drive from zfs back to xfs, and I attempted to downgrade my firmware to 6.11.5  My understanding was that you download the zip file, extract it, and copy those files and folders over the ones on your usb.  I did that, and when I booted I realized I had a default config when I saw the server name "Tower" and it wouldn't accept my credentials.

It's been probably a week since I did a server flash drive backup, in a moment of laziness this morning instead of doing that I did at least copy my existing config directory off in case I needed it.  Anyway, I copied that config directory over the one on the usb and tried to boot, but now I'm not even seeing a gui.  

Can someone tell me how I fix this?

Edited by BurntOC
  • BurntOC changed the title to Help request - Tried to downgrade from 6.12.1 to 6.11.5 and server is completely down.
  • Solution
1 hour ago, BurntOC said:

My understanding was that you download the zip file, extract it, and copy those files and folders over the ones on your usb.

You only extract the bz* files, not the complete zip.

1 hour ago, BurntOC said:

I did at least copy my existing config directory off in case I needed it.

That's all you need.

Try recreating the flash drive with a stock install then restore only the backup config.

• BurntOC changed the title to SOLVED - Help request - Tried to downgrade from 6.12.1 to 6.11.5 and server is completely down.
2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You only extract the bz* files, not the complete zip.

That's all you need.

Try recreating the flash drive with a stock install then restore only the backup config.

Thanks for the response.  In reading that on the Downgrade instruction page it had confused me.  I presumed I misread it as I didn't recognize them as compressed files without an extension.

I ended up copying the config files from my backup last week, reformatting cache to xfs, and using previous apps to reinstall all of my containers.  Other than the fact that most didn't originally start and showed "not available" despite having installed the Docker Update Patch plugin, they seem to come up after a forced update.  I'm going to reboot when done with that, but I'm optimistic that I'm back on 6.11.5 ok.  Marking as solved for now.

UPDATE - Welp, that's depressing.  Seeing all sorts of oddness now.  Can't SSH in on some of the interfaces I could before.  None of my containers autostarted as configured.  They can be manually started, but I can't access any of them.  Guess I'll have to start back with the bz file extract and restore again.

UPDATE 2 - I ended up wiping my Unraid usb, copying all the files from the backup archive I made several days ago, and then copying the bz* files from the 6.11.5 as @JorgeB suggested and it seems to be working again.  

Edited by BurntOC
NOT solved
  • BurntOC changed the title to SOLVED - Help request - Tried to downgrade from 6.12.1 to 6.11.5 and server is completely down.