Switching from FreeNAS...little help please

ele7en11

I currently have a server running FreeNAS and would like to switch to unRAID.  I would like to use most of the hardware I already have if possible but was planning on switching out the motherboard for sure.

Currently have:

CASE: Cooler Master Centurion 590 w/ 2 Cooler Master 4-3 cages

Power: Corsair 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz

RAM: 4 GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 800 MHz DDR2 Dual Channel

Video: Geforce 8400 GS PCI Express

NIC: TRENDnet Gigabit PCI

Would like to switch out the motherboard possibly with a SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEA-O and the NIC with an Intel Pro...would this work okay?

Like I said...would like to use as much of what I already have but I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks

I currently have a server running FreeNAS and would like to switch to unRAID.  I would like to use most of the hardware I already have if possible but was planning on switching out the motherboard for sure.

Currently have:

CASE: Cooler Master Centurion 590 w/ 2 Cooler Master 4-3 cages

Power: Corsair 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified

These are just fine, keep them

MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

check HPA and see if this motherboard has it on by default in the BIOS.  Do a search hear on the forums for HPA if you don't know what I am talking about

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz

RAM: 4 GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 800 MHz DDR2 Dual Channel

Just fine, keep all of these

Video: Geforce 8400 GS PCI Express

NIC: TRENDnet Gigabit PCI

Drop these 2.  The onboard NIC should work just fine and the PCI-e graphics card is taking up a valuable PCI-e slot.  Get a cheap old PCI graphics card and be done with it.

Would like to switch out the motherboard possibly with a SUPERMICRO MBD-C2SEA-O and the NIC with an Intel Pro...would this work okay?

It would work fine, but I don't see the point in buying hardware if you don't need it.

+1 to what prostuff said.

the GA-EP45-UD3P is on the unRAID hardware compatibility list.

there is also a report of the first PCIe slot only works with GPUs

search the forums for EP45-UD3P.

I would still be concerned with HPA.

I did run an unRAID box on a GA-EP45-USB3P for several months with no issues (& no HPA). it is not the same board.. I am just saying don't rule out Gigabyte completely.

Thank you all for your input...I'm a little nervous about switching over and want everything to go as smooth as possible.  FreeNAS has worked well for me but my setup is inefficient as I am mirroring all my data every night as a safety net.  If I understand correctly with unRAID I can throw in a parity drive and double my available space by getting rid of my mirror.

Will this hardware be effective enough to feed 1080p to two XBMC settups?

Thank you all for your input...I'm a little nervous about switching over and want everything to go as smooth as possible.  FreeNAS has worked well for me but my setup is inefficient as I am mirroring all my data every night as a safety net.  If I understand correctly with unRAID I can throw in a parity drive and double my available space by getting rid of my mirror.

Will this hardware be effective enough to feed 1080p to two XBMC settups?

yes and yes

Archived