I'm getting this in my syslog when mover tries to run:

Aug 25 03:40:01 Floater logger: mover started

Aug 25 03:40:01 Floater logger: ./Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/title07.mkv

Aug 25 03:40:01 Floater logger: .d..t...... ./

Aug 25 03:40:01 Floater logger: .d..t...... Media/

Aug 25 03:40:01 Floater logger: .d..t...... Media/TV Shows/

Aug 25 03:40:01 Floater logger: .d..t...... Media/TV Shows/Lost/

Aug 25 03:40:01 Floater logger: .d..t...... Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/

Aug 25 03:40:01 Floater logger: >f+++++++++ Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/title07.mkv

Aug 25 03:46:44 Floater logger: ./Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/title08.mkv

Aug 25 03:46:44 Floater logger: .d..t...... Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/

Aug 25 03:46:44 Floater logger: >f+++++++++ Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/title08.mkv

Aug 25 03:47:49 Floater shfs0: shfs_write: write: (28) No space left on device

Aug 25 03:47:49 Floater logger: rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes [sender]: Broken pipe (32) (Minor Issues)

Aug 25 03:47:49 Floater logger: rsync: write failed on "/mnt/user0/Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/title08.mkv": No space left on device (28) (Minor Issues)

Aug 25 03:47:49 Floater logger: rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(298) [receiver=3.0.2] (Errors)

Aug 25 03:47:49 Floater logger: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (31 bytes received so far) [sender]

Aug 25 03:47:49 Floater logger: rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635) [sender=3.0.2] (Errors)

Aug 25 03:47:49 Floater logger: ./Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/title09.mkv

Aug 25 03:47:49 Floater logger: .d..t...... Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/

Aug 25 03:47:49 Floater logger: >f+++++++++ Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/title09.mkv

Aug 25 03:47:49 Floater shfs0: shfs_write: write: (28) No space left on device

Aug 25 03:47:50 Floater logger: rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes [sender]: Broken pipe (32) (Minor Issues)

Aug 25 03:47:50 Floater logger: rsync: write failed on "/mnt/user0/Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1/title09.mkv": No space left on device (28) (Minor Issues)

Aug 25 03:47:50 Floater logger: rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(298) [receiver=3.0.2] (Errors)

Aug 25 03:47:50 Floater logger: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (31 bytes received so far) [sender]

Aug 25 03:47:50 Floater logger: rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635) [sender=3.0.2] (Errors)

Aug 25 03:47:50 Floater logger: ./Media/TV Shows/Lost/Season 1

Share name: Media

Comments:

Allocation method: Fill-up

Min. free space: 10485760

Split level: 2

Included disk(s): disk1,disk2

Excluded disk(s): disk3

Use cache disk: Yes

There is still 638G free on disk2, so I know there is space. This has been working fine until I defined a new share. The new share uses a completely different disk (disk4) and excludes disk1-3.

Any ideas on why the user share "Media" is not behaving correctly any longer? What other logs/configs can I provide?

Thanks!

OK. I've searched and re-read posts on split levels and I am *still* confused. One of the reasons I'm confused is that this has been working. The server filled up disk1 to the threshold and started writing movies, tv shows and videos to disk2 perfectly well. I upgraded to 4.7 and added some disks and now it seems that behavior has changed. Maybe I was purely lucky before. My structure looks like this:

Media <- Share

Movies

TV Shows

Lost

Season 1

*season 1 files*

It started putting the Lost directory on disk1 when it was already at capacity! What should I set my split level to be? Should I create a whole new share for TV shows? Any ideas on why my behavior changed?

Thanks!

It's hard to help when I don't know what you want to split or not split. Do you want a TV series to split? Do you want a TV season to split?

Currently, the "TV Shows" is allowed to split but no directories below it are allowed to split. You'd have to go to a split level of 4 to allow an individual season to split.

I personally use a different share for TV shows because, using your layout, the split level which allows the TV series to split is too high for the movies. You could just nest the movies folders (ie Media\Movies\Movies\Avatar or Media\Movies\Movies\Movies\Avatar) to avoid that problem.

I highly doubt the behaviour just "changed".

This is why I use high water and keep a decent amount of "TV Shows" array space free. It leaves space for future episodes to be added later without splitting the series between disks. If that fails then I have to manually shifting a few TV series around.

Finally, if you don't care at all then use something like a split level of 99.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I understand better. I was starting to count at the wrong level for split (I think).

I also agree that it probably didn't change, but my particular use caused me to perceive that everything was working fine. I think I can explain it now thanks to your help and remembering. As you say, "TV Shows" could split under the Media share. So, along the way I put more and more file, mainly DVD isos, into Media. Once disk1 hit the min allocation level, most likely during a write of a large single movie file, it split things. I came along and started writing some TV Show and disk1 was at the limit so it started writing all of <whatever> series to disk2.

Recently I moved, re-ripped, etc a few files. This probably freed up enough space on disk1 so that it created "TV Shows->Lost" on disk1, but would NOT allow the split of "Lost". Near the limit and writing big files, it just ran out of space. Now I think behavior has changed when it fact I was just lucky by ignorance that it worked before.

I used mc to move the "Lost" to /mnt/disk2 where there is plenty of space. If I get disk1 filled to the threshold again I think things will go back to working but by luck, not design.

This is why I use high water and keep a decent amount of "TV Shows" array space free. It leaves space for future episodes to be added later without splitting the series between disks. If that fails then I have to manually shifting a few TV series around.

I have a question about your comment. Do you have your TV Shows user share on the same disks as Movies, but you have it use a different allocation method and no split level?

My TV is actually on different disks than the movies. I use a split level of 1 presently but it can require manual intervention due to a number of continuing series on a single disk filling that disk. A level of 2 would split the seasons and probably work by itself until the disks are all fairly close to full but I'd rather keep each series together.

I don't like the fill-up method for the exact reason you just ran into. If the disks were filling more equally (using say high-water) then you wouldn't have experienced the problem. Still, high-water isn't actually a solution but it's more likley to keep you from running into the problem.

Peter