How to modify (replacing) files on array without writing back to cache?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi Everyone,

I've come across an issue I can't seem to solve on my own, and I haven't been able to find a clear solution online. I'm guessing there are others out there doing what I'm trying to achieve, and I'm hoping one of you could point me in the right direction.

Here's the situation: I'm using either Unmanic, Tdarr or similar to add streams to my media files for enhanced compatibility. My server configuration includes two cache pools - one dedicated solely for Docker, and a 1TB SSD for things like downloads. The latter regularly moves its data onto the array each day.

Now, the hiccup comes when I transcode, say, my whole movie library. Every newly transcoded file gets treated as a fresh download and lands back onto the SSD cache pool. This practice quickly saturates my SSD to its brink and causes subsequent issues.

My question is this: Is this issue a result of some misconfiguration on my server? Or, is there a specific technique that will let these transcoded files stay on the array instead of the SSD? I'm assuming there's a way to manage the file placement post-transcoding, but I'm not quite sure how.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Solution
1 minute ago, CozMedic said:

Or, is there a specific technique that will let these transcoded files stay on the array instead of the SSD? I'm assuming there's a way to manage the file placement post-transcoding, but I'm not quite sure how.

Each transcoded file effectively IS a new file so the behaviour you describe is exactly what Unraid should do.    Probably the best thing to do is to make sure the Minimum Free Space for the cache is set to a value that will stop it over-filling, and then when the free space falls below that value Unraid will start by-passing the cache for new files/transcodes.  

17 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Each transcoded file effectively IS a new file so the behaviour you describe is exactly what Unraid should do.    Probably the best thing to do is to make sure the Minimum Free Space for the cache is set to a value that will stop it over-filling, and then when the free space falls below that value Unraid will start by-passing the cache for new files/transcodes.  

Okay, so there's no 'trick' to getting it to write to the same storage (array) other than either setting my share to array only temporarily (either literally or through free space min), or using scheduling/limits within the apps like Tdarr or Unmanic themselves? I'm cool with that, I honestly thought I was just missing some glaring component.

Thanks,