Help Restoring USB

Hello, I was trying to downgrade to 6.11 for Steam Headless support. I misunderstood the downgrade instructions and was not able to boot. Now I can't boot from a restored USB either. Certain I'm doing something wrong.

I'm on Linux, so I'm trying to do the manual method. I've got a backup from my USB before attempting to downgrade. Have tried to format the same USB with my backup files, and in the process the USB has now been reformatted.

Can I still restore a backup to that USB, or do I now need to use a new USB to restore the backup to? I think if I have to use a new USB, I'll have to contact Support and get my key moved? I only moved it to this USB a few weeks ago.

Regardless of whether I'm using the same USB or a new one, I'm evidently not doing the manual creation right.

USB 1: Had UNRAID on it before, attempt to downgrade, have now reformatted completely in attempts to restore

USB 2: Brand-new drive identical to USB 1, same pack, that I could use if that's recommended since the first one has been reformatted

Either way, my understanding of the process is:

1. Insert USB to PC

2. Copy files from backup to USB

3. Copy make_bootable_linux to PC hard drive

4. Unmount USB

5. Run sudo bash make_bootable_linux

6. Eject USB

7. Plug into server and boot

But that isn't working for me. I get an output saying that the drive is now bootable, almost instantly. But then the server never comes online. What am I doing wrong? I'll be going to a family member's house later today anyway, and will have access to a Windows machine. So I can try the easy installer method as well. Whichever is the best method to get my USB restored from my backup and my server back online.

Thanks!

Just now, itimpi said:

Have you ensured that the flash drive is set up with a single partition and formatted as FAT32 before you try and copy any files to it?

Yes, after first trying just copying to the drive didn't work, I reformatted to a single FAT32 partition again and started fresh. Here's how it now shows in GNOME Disks on my PC.

Screenshot from 2023-07-15 10-16-54.png