Mover EXTREMELY slow

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello,

I'm running Unraid v6.12.3. With valid Parity

Intel Xeon E5-2470 v2 @ 2.40GHz | 10 Core 20 Thread

48 GiB DDR3 Multi-bit ECC

I set up an NVMe drive yesterday to use as a cache pool.

It has since filled up with 612GB of windows system backups.

I had the mover scheduled for 4:30am and it is now nearly 11am.
It is still at 612GB, and looking at my array activity; every 3 - 5 seconds it has less than a MB of activity.

I even tried using Turbo Write with absolutely no difference.

I'm considering just abandoning using cache but I would still need to actually have mover move the files at least this once.

I have taken down all docker containers so the files aren't in use. 

This would take over 2 months to move...

htop shows barely any cpu usage.

With a normal file transfer to my Array it goes to about 150MB/s, but less than a MB every few seconds with mover is unusable. I'm at a loss.

Also I've been waiting for the diagnostics to generate for 20 minutes :/ I'll attach them once they generate.
image.png.90b0d9fecc2151e0b9662cc279ae8513.png

image.thumb.png.380c3c7c4faf7713dfd461fe642cf335.png

image.thumb.png.d98525a678f3cfa3f5b9cc59c19bae9a.pngimage.png.bdf6c163d475cf3c78872977f8c99abc.png

Edited by x3rt
  • x3rt changed the title to Mover EXTREMELY slow

Also just an update on the diagnostics... It has been generating for 30 minutes and it is starting to slow down my entire browser and I'm not sure what to do about that or whether I can safely close that browser window until it is done.

The diagnostic browser window is currently using 5 GB of RAM & 50% of my CPU 

Update: Browser ran out of memory after generating Diagnostics for 50 minutes

image.png.e2ce53ac2d6769c941dec06ccd830754.png

Edited by x3rt

I legitimately cannot generate diagnostic logs as it is trying to `sed` every single file in the backup.

Using the CLI command does nothing as /boot/logs remain empty 

root@Mercury:~# diagnostics
Starting diagnostics collection... 

I can try to manually zip up what it generated previously when I was using the WebGUI up until my browser window crashed

Edited by x3rt

Alright. Guess I won't cache backups in the future. It's 65% done after 26h

I'm still not clear on the 6.12 caching options.

For example array->cache seems scary and unsafe and should never be done? Would that data be stuck on the cache? Is it always unprotected? Why would you do such a thing?

Sorry if I'm being dumb.

31 minutes ago, x3rt said:

For example array->cache seems scary and unsafe and should never be done? Would that data be stuck on the cache? Is it always unprotected? Why would you do such a thing?

The 6.12 options are no different to earlier release - it is just that different terminology is now being used which is intended to be clearer for new users and also position things for new features in future release.

The data IS stuck on the pool with array->cache.  That is normally done for performance reasons with docker containers and/or VMs as pools have much higher write speeds than disks in the main array.  It is also stuck on the pool if there is no secondary storage option set, but then you can activate "Exclusive Mode" which gives even better performance when writing to User Shares as it by-passes the Fuse layer normally involved in handling User Shares.

You can then get redundancy/protection by making a pool multi-drive.   You can also use plugins such as Appdata Backup to get periodic backups of the shares concerned to a nominate location (typically somewhere on the main array).  Many people use both approaches.

• Thanks 1