Share set to cache only but files/folders exist in array

Hey everyone,

New Unraid user here and very happy so far.

I am receiving some warnings but I'm not sure if I need to take any action. Here they are:

unraid.thumb.png.cea439e49dcc0aab008d912ffbd397fd.png

I am not using or didn't set up any cache. Here's my setup:

unraid2.png.e489aab50bf760dfe666d6deda36eee1.png

The pool device is used/should be used exclusively for appdata and VM backups. I don't want any other data on it. 

Do I need to take any action here?

Thanks!

Your ‘isos’ share has is set to use pool ‘cache’ which is strange as you have no such pool.   The ‘appdata’, ‘system’, and ‘domains’ shares are set so they would use a pool called’ cache’ if you had one, but since you do not they will stay where they are on the array.

The ‘backup’ share is set to only be on the pool, but it also has files on disk1.   The settings for that share is such that mover will not try and move files from array to pool.   At this point I would think it is probably easiest to use Dynamix File Manager to get any files off disk1 to the pool.  

i would suggest that you go through all your shares in turn, check the settings are now what you want, make a nominal change and then hit apply to reset the settings, and after that post new diagnostics.

The files that would be on both are just backups from the appdata and VM backup plugins. I will just delete them (on pool and array) and try to set them up again.

After that, I will stop the array and remove any mention of a cache.

If that sounds good to you, I'll try it later today. 

@itimpi

I deleted the backup share and the other 2 shares created by the appdata backup plugin, and removed the plugin. 

Then, I did a re-scan with the plugin and the same warnings are present. 

In the share settings, there is no mention of a pool named "cache". 

I also never set up a cache.

Any ideas? 

Edit: to clarify, the first warning is gone but these remain:

Screenshot_20230724_191249.thumb.png.156e5117eb977452f116b1948aab3f19.png

homeserver-diagnostics-20230724-1848.zip

Edited by jayw1
clarification

Okay, so I've figured it out.

Seems the "pool" is always a cache pool. I thought it was just a secondary storage separate from the array.

Is it okay to add my 4TB WD External drive to my current all SSD array which contains data already? Presumably I can just exclude it from all the shares except the one for backups.

My end goal is move data I specify to the external drive as a backup. I hope I wouldn't be sacrificing any read/write/iops performance by doing this.

Edited by jayw1