Different transfer speed when using a smb name or IP adress

Good day so the problem is interesting, when i use this adress \\TOWER\home\admin\ i am getting 5-30 megabits per second, with fluctuating speeds

Then i open the same share via IP adress, \192.168.6.50\home\admin and i am getting near full speed of iperf around 400-450 Mbit/sec

Then, if i go back using a SMB names, i get the same perf as when using IP adress, but i need to do it only in the order i have described.

Here is my iperf i did with the server from my PC

image.png.3a5e71caeeb4d1d1a1427d646427cd54.png

I have tried to reboot the unraid os, upgrade it to latest without any effect.

Currently i dont have information how much time the "Good speed" will remain active.

Have someone encounteres such issue ? It think it is related to SMB protocol, i am using windows 11.

Thank you

PS. Attaching diagnostics

tower-diagnostics-20230727-1500.zip

A very weird issue that I have not seen before as under the covers the server name should be resolving to an IP address anyway.   It feels like an issue relating to the name resolution mechanism where the server name gets translated to an IP address.   Quite what you can do about it I am not sure.

having said that your iperf speeds look a little low - I would have thought they should be closer to your 1Gb LAN speed.   You are not using WiFi by any chance which could be limiting speed?

7 minutes ago, itimpi said:

A very weird issue that I have not seen before as under the covers the server name should be resolving to an IP address anyway.   It feels like an issue relating to the name resolution mechanism where the server name gets translated to an IP address.   Quite what you can do about it I am not sure.

having said that your iperf speeds look a little low - I would have thought they should be closer to your 1Gb LAN speed.   You are not using WiFi by any chance which could be limiting speed?

Yes i have a wifi connection to the Wifi6 AP, unraid is on the cable network. the issue is affecting pretty much everything for example my acronis backup was 15 megabits/s, after the ip manual resolving i am getting

image.png.1d1908caf4e7fbfd8259e8b20cb7029c.png

I have configured the backup solution to use the IP path, so next time i wont have this problem to solve, before that it was using smb path.

Edited by oldguy