Unraid, setup questions.

Today running snapraid/mergerfs and considering to move this to something "managed".

Today my setup with snapraid/mergerfs/manual

3xhdd's (separate array)

4xssd's (separate array)

2xnvme disk (hot storage, raid1)

The hdd's I want to be spundown and only want the disk which has the data to spinup.(Don't want to use zfs for example for the hdd's).

What disk setup would you recommend in Unraid?

My hdd's are Toshiba MG09 and I have had problems getting these disk to sleep automatically with hdparm(debian) so have had to write a script to put them to sleep. Unable to figure out what the problem is but I assume I can add cronjobs in unraid and hdparm is available?

The hdd's have XFS, would it be possible to import them as is, I understand that Unraid use XFS for main array?(may need to buy another disk if I need to reformat them)

Cheers

18 minutes ago, etnicor said:

Don't want to use zfs for example for the hdd's

You don't need to, but using zfs for the array won't prevent disk spin down, they would be individual filesystems, not a zfs pool.

19 minutes ago, etnicor said:

The hdd's have XFS, would it be possible to import them as is, I understand that Unraid use XFS for main array?(may need to buy another disk if I need to reformat them)

You will need to re-format the disks, Unraid requires a specific partition layout and MBR signature.

8 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You don't need to, but using zfs for the array won't prevent disk spin down, they would be individual filesystems, not a zfs pool.

You will need to re-format the disks, Unraid requires a specific partition layout and MBR signature.

Sorry, Maybe wasn't clear. The reason I don't want ZFS for HDD disks are that I do not want all disks to spinup to access one file.

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

And like mentioned they won't if assigned to the array, but you can use xfs, just making sure you understand zfs on the array is not a multidisk zfs pool.

Ah, ok I guess you are talking about what Unraid call "Hybrid". Don't see any benefits from that for my usecase.

From reading some I guess I would add my hdd's to "main" pool. Need to reformat them with xfs. 1 partity and 2 data drives.

Use my nvme disks as cachepool for my hdd's.(need to learn what the mover script do)

my 4 ssd disk can probably be ZFS raidz-1

*Hope that unraid is able to spindown my Toshiba hdd's.