We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Need PCI-E PATA controller

c234rmf

Although it does add another point of failure, there are SATA->IDE adapters (some bi-directional, some uni-directional, you would have to be careful to which direction you order).  As far as I know, they don't work ATAPI though.  You could get a pair of those and a SIL 3132 card.

FWIW, I used one of those adaptors (along with 2 native sata drives) when I first started playing about with unraid.  I transfered about 100GB of movies and initiated several "fake" HD failures (read: install larger drive, swap parity and parity rebuild).  All went without a hitch.

This was what I was using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812206002 

Note that this one has a jumper on it as opposed to the Bytec (which is rated horribly) that looks similar but has no jumper.  I have no idea what the jumper really does since I never had a problem using this adaptor with a few different drives, so I never researched what it was really for.

Also, my MB, an ASUS M4A785-M as well as an old ABIT ??? had no problem with this adaptor with the SATA ports set to AHCI. 

Archived