Disks not spinning down - array and cache questions

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi guys,

I have just recently migrated my old OMV setup to unraid and loving it so far

I currently have one SSD running as my cache drive and 5 mechanical disks in the array

I have noticed disk 1 and my parity drive are not spinning down. 

When i checked the contents of disk 1 i can see there is still a systems and isos folder in there and i assume this is why they arent spinning down.

From reading online, it seems that i should be setting my system folder to cache = Yes, however in the new version 6.9.12 i dont have this option. I believe the menu has changed

I have a primary storage set to cache and currently the secondary storage is set to array (default).

The mover action is currently set from array->cache

Can i just set the secondary storage = None and this will just run everything on cache and not move to the array?

Also, what is the best way to migrate all the existing data on disk 1 of the array back into cache to let these disks spin down?

Is there a step by step method as im not too familar with unraid just yet 

Thanks in advance

• Solution

The release notes for the 6.12.0 release described the new naming for the share settings and how they map to the old naming.

With the settings you have you should just disable the docker and vm services under Settings and then start Mover manually from the Main tab.  You need to disable the services as they keep files in the ‘system’ share open which will stop them being moved.   When the files have been moved you can reenable the services.   At that point if all the files are on the cache you can set the secondary storage to No.   You might also want Exclusive mode access (also defined in the release notes) for maximum performance.

It is not normally necessary to have the isos share on the cache but it does no damage.