unraid going unresponsive

Hello,

I have been running unraid for many years. I have had issues at times, but for the last 1-2 years its been extremely stable. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, I stated having stability issues. I cannot think of any notable changes. The server will run fine for a few hours, but then the dockers crash and the GUI goes unreachable. I am not able to connect via SSH either. If i hit the local console it responds initially, and I am able to enter a username, but then i never get to enter the password (it times out after 60 sec and goes back to the username prompt.

After it started happening, I did try upgrading to 6.12.3, but that did not help, so i went back down to 16.12.1

Attached is a diagnostics taken after the most recent crash. Hoping someone can take a look and help me figure out what is causing this. Its driving me crazy!

TIA!

ur01.marx.local-diagnostics-20230812-2205.zip

Unfortunately there's nothing relevant logged, this usually points to a hardware issue, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the assistance. I ran unraid in safe mode for several days without issues, so i rebooted into "regular" mode and on a hunch started everything but my Frigate docker. Low and behold it ran for a week without issue. Yesterday i started Frigate back up and it crashed in a few hours.

So clearly its that docker causing the issue and I can try to get assistance with that specific application for root cause.

Thinking about it though and I have a followup questions - is there anything i can do to prevent that docker from crashing the entire system? For instance, can I throttle its access to resources so it cannot choke everything out (at least thats what I assume is happening)? Or are there are prevention/protection measures i can put in place?

15 minutes ago, daemian said:

is there anything i can do to prevent that docker from crashing the entire system? For instance, can I throttle its access to resources so it cannot choke everything out (at least thats what I assume is happening)?

Not sure, docker is not my main area, but someone else may be able to answer that.