New Unraid Build/Install/User - Array has 1 failed device

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

First off specs:

ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax with most recent Bios.  i5-13500T, 32gb DDR4 Ram, 1 16TB Seagate Exos X16, 2 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Coolermaster V850 SFX, Cable Matters SAS to Sata 3.3 ft ( SFF- 8087 to Sata Forward Breakout), LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9201-8i P20, Jonsbo N3 case.  

Not my first pc build but it is my first time making a build for UNRAID.  2 NVME Drives are on the board, those were found no problem.  I set the 16TB to be the Parity drive then got the error , the PC booted first time no issues.  

Array has 1 failed device.

In the device list it shows all 3 drives but Parity 16tb shows invalid.  Under parity settings, i'm currently running a smart test and it reads all the identifier information off of the drive, such as Model Family, Device Model, Serial Number...so it does see it.  Smart overall-health says Passed in Green in the Identity tab.  

So, is it a lemon?  Do I have to wait for the parity to run?  Self test is currently 30% done.  Array is started and parity sync is at 10.7%.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you for your response.  The Parity Invalid I had seen on another thread that was common until it was done but what threw me off is the Array has 1 failed device.  It passed the SMART test too, all green and good.  I could post the results on here but just wondering if anyone else had seen these seem "red flags" go up when spinning up a new server.  

• 3 months later...
On 8/17/2023 at 6:05 AM, Doubttom said:

Thanks for the assist, 6 hours to go until parity is done.  Today I am adding the rest of the drives and begin moving files to it.

Far too late for you probably, but you would save a significant amount of time by copying the data first, then doing parity.  The parity writes will make all that data ingest slow. And you may also (depending on your configuration) have to deal with a cache drive getting full and needing to move to the array.