Disc replaced - Now Docker images have disappeared

philw

I setup my server four years ago, and a lot of the config choices I made back then were probably not the best, but the server has been ticking along nicely ever since.
I recently had a disc failure - I went through the replacement procedure, and restored it, or so I had thought from parity etc.
Again, I left it to its own devices.
A couple of months passed.
Yesterday I noticed that one of my discs, I assumed the replacement, was disabled, although I could find no explanation as to why.
SMART results seemed OK.
I restarted the server and then saw an option to add the disc back, which I selected and the dashboard showed it checking against parity.
Hours later the disc is now enabled, and scanning around my various folders, everything appears to be intact. At least I think everything still OK.

But - all my carefully setup Docker images have disappeared, not appearing in the Dashboard. I dread having to re-configure all of those.

/mnt/user/system/docker.img is still there, and /mnt/cache/appdata shows folders for each of the images I used to have still.

Before I start reinstalling docker images (and I am hoping that they see the original configs in /mnt/cache/appdata), I would like to understand what has happened.

Q. Why was the disc disabled?
Q. Should I have NOT added it back?
Q. Did adding it back somehow trash the Docker images?
Q. Is there anything to be done to get them back other than re-installs?

I have disabled parity checking for the time being while I figure out what has happened - I am minded to attach an external USB drive, and backup anything irreplaceable, before proceeding with anything.

It has been rebooted unfortunately. 
I can now see files on that disk not on others, and it appears? to all be intact, just no Dockers,
If I reinstall Docker images, as part of that reinstall will they each see the original configs that remain in /mnt/cache/appdata?