what board, memory and CPU recommended for decent but not overpriced unraid hardware

Dear friends

I have been running unraid in 2 machines for some time with about 100 TB of space available, but both those machines were simply rebuildt expired, old, otherwise unusable servers from HP Proliant series. They are old, I am unable to insert NVIDIA decent card into it for conversion purposes and PLEX media server. Also they are back from before 2010, not good because of power consumption etc.

So I decided to build nice and fresh machines as of 2023 and I would like to know your advice - would you be so kind to comment on my preliminary selection of components?

1. chasis - Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl - Link to my favorite local shop - it can really keep lot of disks

2. montherboard - GIGABYTE B650 GAMING X AX - Link to my favorite local shop - it has sound card however which I do not need

3. processor - AMD Ryzen 7 7700 - Link to my favorite local shop - TDP only 65W - 8 cores, 16 threads, however I do not need graphic card AMD Radeon Graphics which is in the processor - maybe useless to pay for this

4. memory - Kingston FURY 16GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 Beast Black EXPO 2x - Link to my favorite local shop

5. cache - WD BLACK SN850 NVMe Heatsink pro PS5 2TB - Link to my favorite local shop

Can you please comment and give me your suggestions? I am open to any good idea.

Many thanks

Vlado

1 hour ago, VladoB said:

Thanks, so I will check some Intel MB and processor, any advice?

For a media server capable of a few of 4K transcodes and no VMs even the cheapest 12-13th generation Intel CPU (non-F SKU) would do.

e.g. the i3-12100.

The motherboard choice would depend on the number of HDDs and their connection method.

If connected to motherboard's SATA get one with 8 SATA ports,

e.g. the ASRock Z790 Pro RS/D4.

Samsung NVMe drives tend to be more compatible with low power CPU modes if maximum efficiency is desired.

Instead of getting a single big SSD, you might want to get at least a couple of smaller ones for multiple cache pools -  ATX motherboards usually feature 3 or 4 NVMe slots.

https://cz.pcpartpicker.com/list/