Parity Sync Errors

axeman

So I too suffered a parity sync issue.

I hadn't run a sync in almost a month, so decided to fire one off. About 2 hrs into it, unRaid had identified 3 sync errrors; another 3 or 4 hours pass and 1 more pops up.

unRaid main page shows: (Last checked on 9/6/2011 8:43:13 PM, finding 4 errors.)

above that, on the individual drives, Error counts are zero.

From browsing through the forums, this type of sync error seems to be a missed write if the machine was rebooted w.o. a proper shutdown, right? which makes sense, I am running unRaid inside ESXi, and at some point, powered down the host before shutting down unRaid.

Question for the gurus:

1. should i attach syslog?

2. is this an issue that i should be concerned about?

3. re-run sync, and hope there are no more errors?

new to unRaid and linux and all that, but have seen some ppl mention a reiser check or a dmd or something check as well? Or are those tools for more serious types of errors (like the ones that popped up when upsizing a disk?)

Thanks!

Sep 6 17:58:02 Tower kernel: md: parity incorrect: 3305129568

Sep 6 20:43:13 Tower kernel: md: sync done. time=41047sec rate=47592K/sec

Sep 6 20:43:14 Tower kernel: md: recovery thread sync completion status: 0

Sep  6 09:45:43 Tower kernel: md: parity incorrect: 254519584 (Errors)

Sep  6 10:41:34 Tower kernel: md: parity incorrect: 756515072 (Errors)

Sep  6 13:02:43 Tower kernel: md: parity incorrect: 1899937984 (Errors)

Sep  6 17:58:02 Tower kernel: md: parity incorrect: 3305129568 (Errors)

STARTED, 3 disks in array.    Parity is Valid:.  Last parity check < 1 day ago .  Parity updated 4 times to address sync errors. 

Not sure if you ran a correcting parity check or a read only parity check. If you ran a correcting check, it fixed these sync errors already. If you didn't, you need to run a correcting check. I always like to run an additional parity check and get that 0 sync errors message so I am confident parity is correct.

The unmenu message is a holdover from before the read only parity check. Even though it says the were corrected, they may not have been if you ran a read only check.

Not sure if you ran a correcting parity check or a read only parity check. If you ran a correcting check, it fixed these sync errors already. If you didn't, you need to run a correcting check. I always like to run an additional parity check and get that 0 sync errors message so I am confident parity is correct.

The unmenu message is a holdover from before the read only parity check. Even though it says the were corrected, they may not have been if you ran a read only check.

thanks bjp999 - i ran the error check from the button on Unraid's main page - which i thought would also correct parity if it finds an error. I see that unmenu has a check and correct parity button, should I run that?

Archived