Slow mover

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi, I'm running Unraid 6.12.3 and I'm having trouble with my Mover speed. I recently upgraded my array from 2 HDD's (1 parity, 1 storage) to 4 HDD's (1 parity, 3 storage). All those drives are Seagate IronWolf 4TB drives.
For my cache I upgraded from one Samsung SSD 980 500MB drive to 2 Samsung SSD 980 1TB drives (mirrored).

Since this upgrade my Mover speed dramatically slowed down when writing to the array. The speeds I used to get got close to the maximum speeds of the HDD's which is 180MB/s but now I get around 60MB/s.
I already scouted the internet and this forum for answers but can't really figure out what caused this drop...

Is this maybe a normal cause of having a mirrored cache system? Or is there something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your time!

nas-diagnostics-20230829-1754.zip

• Solution
6 minutes ago, Whodeg said:

Since this upgrade my Mover speed dramatically slowed down when writing to the array. The speeds I used to get got close to the maximum speeds of the HDD's which is 180MB/s but now I get around 60MB/s.

This is a typical speed for the main array when it has parity protecting and more than one data drive.    Your previous configuration was a special case as with one parity drive and one data drive they act as mirrors.   You may get better speeds if you enable Turbo Write mode, albeit at the cost of having all drives spinning when writing to the array.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, itimpi said:

This is a typical speed for the main array when it has parity protecting and more than one data drive.    Your previous configuration was a special case as with one parity drive and one data drive they act as mirrors.   You may get better speeds if you enable Turbo Write mode, albeit at the cost of having all drives spinning when writing to the array.

Thank you so much for the fast response. This makes a lot more sense now.
Tried the Turbo Write mode and works like a charm!