Server Unresponsive High CPU on GUI but not on HTOP?

Go to solution Solved by ThanasisPolitis,

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Dashboard graph includes i/o wait.

Thank you for the reply!

It seems that my cache drives have SMART errors and I can see that in the logs too...

I/O error, dev loop2, sector 27962672 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 2

BTRFS error (device loop2: state EA): bdev /dev/loop2 errs: wr 20, rd 1, flush 1, corrupt 1, gen 0

Thank you for the help!

Scrub completed, no errors found...

UUID: 5815d461-6c5e-4322-852c-c860344b7dd0

Scrub started: Thu Aug 31 13:41:51 2023

Duration: 0:16:43

Total to scrub: 273.53GiB

Rate: 278.98MiB/s

Error summary: no errors found

Both cache HDDs where bought brand new in March 2023...

SMART errors started to show up a week or so ago...

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE

197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--CK   100   100   050    -    8

Edit: 

HDD Power is direct to PSU (no splitters)

SATA data cables are look visually OK and they are plugged in fully on both MB and HDD.

Edited by ThanasisPolitis
  • Solution

Sorry for the late reply, been quite busy...

So I have rebooted the server, still no go, cache seems to be bottlenecking the CPU.

Decided to convert the cache from BTRFS mirror to ZFS mirror and the performance difference is astonishing!

CPU is averaging 3% with 32 docker containers running! 

Before, Plex plyers on the local network would freeze at least 5 times when watching a movie -- in direct stream, not transcoded, and now, it is smooth as butter!

Will keep an eye on it but it seems that BTRFS was putting high stress in IOPS and it was bottlenecking the CPU... 

Thank you very much for all your help and support with this!

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2023 at 10:29 PM, ThanasisPolitis said:

Sorry for the late reply, been quite busy...

So I have rebooted the server, still no go, cache seems to be bottlenecking the CPU.

Decided to convert the cache from BTRFS mirror to ZFS mirror and the performance difference is astonishing!

CPU is averaging 3% with 32 docker containers running! 

Before, Plex plyers on the local network would freeze at least 5 times when watching a movie -- in direct stream, not transcoded, and now, it is smooth as butter!

Will keep an eye on it but it seems that BTRFS was putting high stress in IOPS and it was bottlenecking the CPU... 

Thank you very much for all your help and support with this!

Been having the same issue lately and was wondering how to convert my btrfs cache drive to zfs file system to see if it solve my issue, would you have any guide on how to and is there any impact doing this on dockers / vm's?

Thank you for your help

2 minutes ago, deblex said:

Been having the same issue lately and was wondering how to convert my btrfs cache drive to zfs file system to see if it solve my issue, would you have any guide on how to and is there any impact doing this on dockers / vm's?

Thank you for your help

Yes, my friend, this is what I had to do to get over that issue.

It seems that it did work (partially) but at the end, I got some 2nd hand Data Centre grade Intel SSDs which now host my Docker, VM and System shares and I keep the cache just for... well, cache. ;)

You can convert the current cache from BTRFS to ZFS without losing anything, however, you have to do some file moves to the array and back to cache once it is on zfs.

This guide from  helped me massively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXF8au5o9Tw

Regards,

Thanasis

• Like 1