Slow speeds between 2 10Gbit servers

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I have an Unraid server connected to a 10Gbit switch having a 10Gbit connection and a Synology server also having a 10Gbit connection connected to that same switch. Both have SMB shares.

When I try to move files from my Synology to my Unraid and vice versa, I do this with Windows File Explorer, I get speeds under 100MB/s sometimes not even close to 50MB/s.

When I iperf3 on both my 2 machines (both being a server and client), I get full 10Gbit/s speeds. I know there's a harddrive bottleneck but still, they should be at least getting that speed. Both have a SSD NVME Cache drive too (and WD Gold harddrives which are capable of at least a bit more than what I'm getting).

I just don't know how to further investigate what could be wrong.

19 minutes ago, jonasdegent said:

I'm on a 2.5Gbe connection. But it also is connected to a 10Gbit port. I don't have the room for a 10Gbit card cause of the ridiculous size of videocards in this day and age

🙂

That is going to limit speed as each bit of data needs to travel to the PC from one server and then get sent to the other server.   Having said that I would still expect better speeds.   Have you tried iperf tests between each server and the PC?

to get maximum speeds you need to transfer directly between servers.