Question about swapping hardware / viability of said hardware

Victor90

I've a plan to make a new portable SFFPC and I'm thinking about cannibalizing MOBO from my unraid setup, mobo in question is a rog strix B460-I (10th gen intel board) and I've got a i3 running in there with 16gigs of RAM. So obviously a machine that has quite a bit some muscle. On my unraid setup I've been running plex, home assistant, wireguard and krusader as docker apps, as for VMs a singular Ubuntu that I don't need anymore and will likely get rid of.

This is the board I was looking to maybe purchase and swap it out with: Biostar J4105NHU

So basically downgrade from a i3 10th gen to celeron.. 7th gen? I know Celeron's are quite garbanzo right now but what can I expect from such a downgrade (except Plex potentially lagging)? Would it be a viable setup for what I've mentioned above?

I'm probably also making another unraid setup for my family and I've also been thinking about using that board with an integrated celeron so extra curious how well do you guys think that'd perform for a simple file server purpose unraid build.

Edited by Victor90

My opinion is that system board will not be a great choice for running a Unraid, even with no dockers.  That particular board has only 2 SATA connectors, a single long PCIe slot running at x1, and 8GB max DRAM.

There have been a number of system boards coming out of China the past 2 years, first starting with firewall appliance boards with 4 2.5Gbe nics, and lately systems targeted at the NAS market, with 6 SATA connectors.  You can find later generations than the J4105, starting from the N5105/N6000 that clock faster, 16GB of DRAM, m.2 slots and more.  I would recommend poking around on Aliexpress (search "nas motherboard") and you'll find many starting around $150 USD.

NASCompares just released a YouTube video where he built a system with one.

Edited by ConnerVT
  • Upvote 1