Docker app old - need to update to newer image without losing data

tomfowler

Running unRAID version 6.12.3.

I have a Postgres container created by Flight777 to support Joplin.  All has been working well, but noticed the app has not been updated in 3 years and is using Postgres 12.5-Alpine.  I would like to update to a new version of Postgres, but not lose the data.  I can create a new container, such as one of the official ones (postgresql15), but I don't know how to move the data to the new container.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  

Looking at both images they use the same container variables. In theory all you would need to do is setup the the official image using the exact same environment variables as you are currently using for Flight777's container.

It goes without saying that you should backup the data before doing this just incase you mis-spell something. Although copy and paste is your friend here.

Copy your environment variables into the official container, stop the Flight777 container, then click apply on the offical container and spin it up. It should just use the current data already stored in your appdata.

Again, backup your data before doing this.

Edited by Pez84