Ubuntu vm opens QEMU window but never shows a desktop or login

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

Hopefully this is the right place. If not please redirect me. I'm a new unraid user. I'm having so much fun tinkering with this product! I bought the plus license and have the array, a couple of dockers, and some shares all working correctly. So I figure the next step is a VM. I watched a video and setup some stuff, downloaded the latest LTS ubuntu. Copied it to the isos share and clicked on the Ubuntu template. I start it up and get a window that pops up - QEMU [ubuntu] - noVNC.  <edit> I see a boot menu and I pick 'Try or Install ubuntu' </edit> It shows the unraid logo but never presents a login screen or desktop. The assigned cpu cores are all at ~ 70% util. Please help!

batcavedrive1-diagnostics-20230909-0814.zip

Edited by the_real_batman
forgot to mention the boot menu does show
43 minutes ago, the_real_batman said:

Hopefully this is the right place. If not please redirect me. I'm a new unraid user. I'm having so much fun tinkering with this product! I bought the plus license and have the array, a couple of dockers, and some shares all working correctly. So I figure the next step is a VM. I watched a video and setup some stuff, downloaded the latest LTS ubuntu. Copied it to the isos share and clicked on the Ubuntu template. I start it up and get a window that pops up - QEMU [ubuntu] - noVNC.  It shows the unraid logo but never presents a login screen or desktop. The assigned cpu cores are all at ~ 70% util. Please help!

batcavedrive1-diagnostics-20230909-0814.zip 133.23 kB · 0 downloads

Have you tried to boot without the unraid shares mapped? 

• Solution
10 minutes ago, the_real_batman said:

Thank you for responding. Trying that now. I removed both user shares from the vm and started it back up. I do get the boot menu and I picked 'Try or Install Ubuntu' but it still hangs on the unraid logo with cpu cores at ~70% utilization. How long should I wait on the unraid logo screen before giving up on it booting?

Should be fairly quick have you got 1Gb memory allocated try increasing.