Data rebuild - what happens after array restart?

sonofdbn
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I'm on 6.11.5, running dual parity. My disk 4 has generated a few errors, so I am trying to replace it with a new drive (same size). I assigned the new drive as Disk 4 and started the data rebuild. But there's an ominous message next to it saying "All existing data on this device will be OVERWRITTEN when array is started."

Data_overwritten.thumb.jpg.7efafe3d7624713106a63104a54f1c26.jpg

If I take this literally, this means that after the data rebuild, when the new disk has had all the old data rebuilt on it, all this data will be overwritten when I start the array. Surely this is not what is going to happen?

Also a bit confused about whether the array has actually started. Because this is the message I see in the GUI footer:

Data_rebuild.jpg.bf12ab4f13ca7b5400139699253628b6.jpg

But I'm still able to access files on the shares on the array, presumably through Disk 4 contents being emulated. I thought that if the array was stopped, the disk shares would not be accessible?

tower-diagnostics-20230914-1144.zip

• Solution
4 hours ago, sonofdbn said:

If I take this literally, this means that after the data rebuild, when the new disk has had all the old data rebuilt on it, all this data will be overwritten when I start the array. Surely this is not what is going to happen?

It means any data currently on that disk (if it's not empty) will be overwritten during the rebuild.

4 hours ago, sonofdbn said:

Also a bit confused about whether the array has actually started.

This usually happens with Firefox if you hit "Resend" on a popup, don't use Firefox with the GUI or never hit resend.