Totally hosed, right? Flash failed, no backup

ripeart
Go to solution Solved by Mainfrezzer,

On this page (changing the flash device) it says that if I don't remember the exact assignment of each disk and that if I didn't to stop and post here.

Welp, at the most inopportune time I experienced a drive failure. My bad I should have made a backup, well, actually I DID make a backup but it is stored on the array. But yeah, should have moved it offline earlier.

I have unraid ready on a new flash drive but I wanted to take a breath and understand if I should expect to be able to restore the (100tb) main and cache arrays. Is there a guide that can step me through it?

edit: I'm following this guide for now: https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/changing-the-flash-device/#what-to-do-if-you-have-no-backup-and-do-not-know-your-disk-assignments

Thanks so much for any guidance.

Edited by ripeart
  • Solution

if you have the backup on the array, its relatively simple.

First, install the unassigned devices plugin.

Then, on the main page, you should see all currently not assigned drives listed under "Unassigned Devices"

1388306754_img1.thumb.PNG.95e5db3a30b4c118d36b26c0cefb0cce.PNG

The red square above will tell you which of the drives has a filesystem, so you can already pick out the drives that are actually data containing drives.

Now you click the upper cogwheels of one drive, that has a filesystem
539023456_img2.PNG.44ff1b1cb210cb9716c1e6be85667e69.PNG

once on the new page, you enable following setting

633615060_img3.thumb.PNG.5f7977d3acfaf17aa51a4b7b4c51d06a.PNG

then you press save in the bottom left and done afterwards.

Back on the main page, you can mount the drive you just have set to read only. Once mounted, you can explore the disks content
by clicking on the blue links here
1463676299_img4.PNG.ff300dd672a903cf309772b9749fe4ce.PNG

and look for the backup.

If the backup is not on that particular disk, take the next disk and continue the steps for each drive until you found the backup. Download it and then you can restore it to your flashdrive.

Edit: I forgot to mention. it probably needs the dynamix file manager aswell. So that would be needed to be installed aswell.

Edited by Mainfrezzer
  • Like 1