We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Unraid 5.x Permission issue driving me nuts!

kin0kin

Why is it that I do not have permission to access all the files copied into unraid 5.x?

I have run fix permission. Tried Public/Secure (read write)/Private (read write), create guest account with no password in user.

For example.

- PC 3 copies a file into unraid PUBLIC folder (security = Public / Security = Secured/Private with read/write to everybody)

- PC 1, 2 cannot open the file. "You do not have permission to access \\tower\xxxxxxx"

The only way I can fix the permission issue is to manually apply Chmod -R 777 to the file/folder.

I'd never had this issue with unraid 4.x

EDIT: Btw, only root account has full access to the files written to unraid. Nobody would be able to access the files even though the security is set to public/guest user granted full read/write. The disks are all given public access (hidden)

Why is it that I do not have permission to access all the files copied into unraid 5.x?

I have run fix permission. Tried Public/Secure (read write)/Private (read write), create guest account with no password in user.

For example.

- PC 3 copies a file into unraid PUBLIC folder (security = Public / Security = Secured/Private with read/write to everybody)

- PC 1, 2 cannot open the file. "You do not have permission to access \\tower\xxxxxxx"

The only way I can fix the permission issue is to manually apply Chmod -R 777 to the file/folder.

I'd never had this issue with unraid 4.x

EDIT: Btw, only root account has full access to the files written to unraid. Nobody would be able to access the files even though the security is set to public/guest user granted full read/write. The disks are all given public access (hidden)

Read up on the permissions and share settings in the 5.0 beta Security forum.  Create a user that will have read/write access to the shares that IS NOT ROOT and use that user to write to your machine.

Does that mean if I had a public folder and guest (read access only to other shares) writes stuff to it, there will always be permission issue?

I don't think so.

I have a user created that I use to write to all my shares.  With the shares that are set to public there is no login needed and everyone should be able to read/write.

I have most of my Shares set to secure so that only certain users can have read/write access but random people can still read from the share.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I did:

- PC has no login therefore guest account is used.

- Set Public to Public

- Tries to copy stuff to it = no permission to wrtite

- Went to unraid and set new permission

- set public share to public access

- Tried to copy a file into public = you need permission to perform this action  ???

Archived