Get notification if server goes offline

squish102

This is kind of a big ask, if you think about it.  First, how do you wish ti be notified?  Email, SMS, telegram, one of the many notification methods out there?  Then LT would need to monitor the entire Unraid user base of servers running Connect.  How do you handle those no longer running servers, or even just no longer using connect?  A logistical nightmare.

I use https://uptimerobot.com/ to do what you ask.  I have one monitor which pings my firewall, another which checks one of my web services that I run in Docker.  Between the two, I can monitor both that the network is up and that my server is up (as well as seeing my weekly appdata backup is run).  I get notifications both by email and Telegram

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2023 at 9:00 AM, ConnerVT said:

This is kind of a big ask, if you think about it.  First, how do you wish ti be notified?  Email, SMS, telegram, one of the many notification methods out there?  Then LT would need to monitor the entire Unraid user base of servers running Connect.  How do you handle those no longer running servers, or even just no longer using connect?  A

The reason I thought it would be useful is if Unraid Connect already has a connection, it would know if it went offline and you could set up the notification similar to those that check if a website is up.

I had the free version of statuscake monitoring one of the webservers running on unraid. Then I had unraid crashing at least once a day and I had a scary incident with appdata. I then started backing up appdata nightly but it takes down the docker containers. I got notification every night that was not very helpful. So now I run uptime kuma on a free oracle cloud server that I can configure maintenance hours. I use the free statuscake account to monitor uptime kuma because oracle cloud is not too stable. 

So back to my original suggestion, if unraid connect detected my machine offline, it would be nice if I could get a notification.

The push method of uptime to status cake will not need a maintenance window, as cron keeps running even if the dockers are off.  But that will not correctly notify you if your inbound networking dies. 

You could also reduce the likelyhood that statuscake reports an outage by using the "alert delay" of longer than CA backup takes to backup that site.  A delay of downtime of 5 min or whatever is not going to really hurt you for unraid, this isn't mission critical stuff. 

image.png.3c3f19d40d68c760d0ac631497679193.png

Edited by Terebi