High read/write on one drive only, new unraid build

nyxeka
Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi guys,

I am new to unraid and have only had my server up for 7 days, in that time I have imported around 28TB of data from my old NAS so I was expecting a bunch of read/write activity on the drives however one drive seems to be used significantly more than the others, is anybody able to explain this to me?

I have no docker/vm running on the Unraid server, only thing accessing data is a separate plex server accessing unraid over nfs in the last 24hrs.

2146264568_Screenshot2023-10-13212848.thumb.png.17a401781e1b94227d67257a480c805b.png

• Solution

Looking at you share settings what you are seeing is expected behaviour.

With you largest data drive being 10TB and using high-water allocation method then the points for switch drives occur at the 5GB, 2.5GB, 1.25GB etc points.   You are currently in the 2.5GB zone, and since disk1 is down to 1.25GB free Unraid has switched to disk2.

2 minutes ago, nyxeka said:

Thanks for the info, that's the line of thinking I had but i figured Disk 1 should have around the same if not more writes from being filled before Disk 2, very confusing for me to understand haha.

Thankyou for the help!

You probably rebooted so that the read/write counts got reset (or used the Reset Statistics button) so you no longer see the earlier writes to disk1 in the counts.