Home Network Layout

zoomzoomies

Hi all. Got my UNRAID/Plex NAS up and running and am in the process of upgrading my home network at the moment to 10Gbe. Was wondering which of the two would be the best way to set up my home network for best performance overall? Or is there an even better way to set things up?

The "modem" is a modem/router combo so using it as purely a modem or as a combo is an option. It has no WiFi. Hence, a separate WIFI Router.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just adding that I'm not just using it as a home media server but as a work archive i.e. I'll be transferring hundreds of GB worth of data fortnightly.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 7.31.28 pm.png

Edited by zoomzoomies
Added more details.

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much as there's 10 gigabits between everything except for the last leg out to your ISP. They are both pretty sensible ways to connect everything up and I doubt there'll be any difference in performance at all between the two topologies you've sketched out.

I would pick your topology based upon practical considerations such as the layout of your house, where the equipment is to be kept, how easy it's going to be to run any new cabling, what existing cables (or drill holes) you can utilise, where you want a stronger WiFi signal, things like. Thinking about stuff like this will probably make the decision for you.

• Thanks 1