Issues with Unraid booting after BIOS update

Axon
Go to solution Solved by Axon,

Hello

I received a Dell Precision 5820 workstation yesterday and moved over all the drives and booted it up for it to load into Unraid without issues. I installed a temp SSD with Windows so that I can update the BIOS on the workstation. The BIOS on the workstation was on version 1.11.1 and I updated it to the current 2.31.0 version. When I went back to try to boot into Unraid it would hang on boot. Checked the release notes and there have been many security updates since but no details on it. I have not had a chance but will be downgrading the BIOS to an older version later today to test. 

The version of Unraid is the current stable release "Unraid 6.12.4"

I have attached a photo of where it gets stuck.

109efc1014df18cfc19743b066d789ee6bc05e61

• Solution

I downgraded the BIOS to version 2.0.2 but could not go lower than 2.0 as it would not allow me. 

Most posts online say to switch it over to legacy but I did the following which resolved my issue.

1.) Switch the settings in the BIOS to UEFI

2.) On my unRAID flash drive, I renamed the EFI- folder to EFI (remove the trailing "-" character.  This will tell unRAID to try and boot in UEFI instead of legacy BIOS.

Once I got it up and running I updated the BIOS to the most current version which started Unraid without issues.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2023 at 11:32 AM, Heffe said:

Hey @Axon I've been having some massive issues with my Dell Precision 5820. It will hard-freeze after about 24h and require a hard reset to start it again. Did you have any other issues? How is your server running now? What version of UnRAID are you using?

Thanks!

Sounds like an hardware issue. Could be RAM as Unraid runs off the ram after it boots. Maybe swap it out then test to see if its stable. Dell Precision 5820 does require ECC RAM.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Axon said:

Sounds like an hardware issue. Could be RAM as Unraid runs off the ram after it boots. Maybe swap it out then test to see if its stable. Dell Precision 5820 does require ECC RAM.

I ran memtest86 for the last 24h and it didn't find any issues.

There are some BTRFS errors in my logs so there might be an issue with my cache drive which is causing the whole system to stall out. I'm going to try and fix that this evening.

Thank you for your reply.