Disk 1 errors, what steps should I take?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi,

I am running unraid version 6.12.2.  Over the last few days I have started receiving notifications that errors have been found with my server.  When I go to my fix common problems plug-in it says my disk 1 has read errors.  I ran an extended self-test for the disk and attached the full diagnostics log here.  Is disk 1 toast or can it be repaired?  Should I just swap out the drive to be sure?  Note that the drive that is failing is the exact same drive as my parity drive, installed at the exact same time so should I be worried about losing the parity drive too?

Appreciate any guidance on what steps to take to protect and repair the system.  

Regards,

Mike

tower-diagnostics-20231028-0927.zip

• Solution

There is no obvious error showing in the SMART reports but you could rerun an extended SMART test to be sure.   More often than not it is an issue with either the SATA cabling or power to the dtive so worth checking these are well seated.

Your syslog is being ‘spammed’ with autofan messages which makes it very difficult to find anything else useful there.   I would you suggest you either adjust the autofan settings to get less messages in the syslog (or perhaps even disable it completely) and get new diagnostics to see if we can spot anything.

Thanks for the response.  I have disabled the autofan plugin so hopefully that will clean up the log.  I am also re-running the extended self-test.  I have disabled all my dockers and started backing up the disk using midnight commander to copy the data on that disk to a USB backup drive.  I will re-post the log tomorrow and hopefully that will be enough time to give some clarity in the syslog.

I have attached another log file showing another disk read error for disk 1.  I also re-ran the extended SMART self-test for disk 1 so hopefully that provides more information. 

Could the cables and connections go bad without me being inside the case or touching the connections?  My server has been running for years with no disk problems other than normal disk failure on occasion but maybe I should be proactively changing out cables?

tower-diagnostics-20231029-0925.zip

10 minutes ago, heisenberg815 said:

Could the cables and connections go bad without me being inside the case or touching the connections?

Cables can definitely work themselves loose over time due to the vibrations from the drives rotating.    It is definitely worth checking that all cables are well seated.