Disks keep spinning up for no reason

Help everyone, I'm going crazy here. I've tried looking online and saw to get the file activity plugin which would help me identify what keeps causing my disks to spin up. My server starts at using 200 Watts and I'm trying to find a way to cut it down, but with 8 or 9 drives it gets to be excessive power usage when most are not in use.

After downloading that I found a next cloud log on disk 7 and after some research find a way to fix it that didn't work, so while I try to figure that out I'm still trying to figure out why the rest of my drives spin up, so I turned next cloud off. Then I saw some with deluge due to a couple being moved from the cache to the array that were incomplete, but those were in disk 6 and 7. So I turned that off also and kept looking.

Now nothing shows up under the file activity, but I can watch all my drives slowly start back up over about a minute or two. I realized I had my data director setup with NFS and a proxmox server mounting the data share. So I disabled it also. But still all my drives slowly spin right back up after I do a force spin down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

nasty-diagnostics-20231028-2351.zip

Update, I think that my issue is Hardware related as I found a couple other posts saying that their HBA did not allow drive spin downs. I just bit the bullet and bought an LSI 9211-8i card which apparently comes highly recommended for way to much money and when it comes in later this week, I look forward to setting it up and seeing if that fixes my issue. I think it is hardware related though because I turned off Docker completely, VM's off completely and yet they still slowly started spinning up.

Seems to be an issue with Unraid. I will keep an eye on it. I saw people mention that it was happening on 6.12 and a downgrade and upgrade fixed it for them. So I downgraded and then upgraded and it appears to be working right now. Why hasn't this been fixed? Also, it looks like Scrutiny app will keep them spun up as it is testing the devices. Turning it off helped.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2023 at 10:52 PM, Anon_me said:

I have a similar situation but uncertain if it's the same as yours @ZerkerEOD. Were you able to confirm if it was indeed 6.12 or if it was scrutiny? Also, when you downgraded did you go fully back to 6.11? I started fresh on 6.12 with my new build and it would be odd to have to go back to 6.11

Scrutiny was causing issues but I haven't restarted it since downgrading and upgrading again. I'm not sure how a fresh install handles it, I would assume it should have been fine but you can try downgrading and then upgrading again to see if it fixes it