When I change a share cache setting to "No" and a folder remains in the cache...

arretx

Intuitively, I would expect that if I set a share's cache setting from something other than "No" to "No" that the files would be moved off of the cache, share folder name and all.

What I have found is that I have empty folders in my Cache Pool that may have once been shares that were cached, but are now set to "No."

An example on my system would be a share called "Media."  There's a folder on my cache pool called Media which is empty.  The share "Media" is allocated to any available disk, but not the cache, and thus, no files show that they're on the cache.

Is it safe for me to remove the folder that remains on the Cache Pool for this share?

5 hours ago, arretx said:

Intuitively, I would expect that if I set a share's cache setting from something other than "No" to "No" that the files would be moved off of the cache, share folder name and all.

What I have found is that I have empty folders in my Cache Pool that may have once been shares that were cached, but are now set to "No."

An example on my system would be a share called "Media."  There's a folder on my cache pool called Media which is empty.  The share "Media" is allocated to any available disk, but not the cache, and thus, no files show that they're on the cache.

Is it safe for me to remove the folder that remains on the Cache Pool for this share?

If you set the Use Cache setting to No then that applies to new files and any files/folders for that share are left there as mover takes no action in such a case (as the GUI mentions).  In other words this does not automatically cause them to be transferred to the array.  It needs to be 'Yes' to get files moved to the array, although once this has been done then you can change it to No to stop new files going to the cache.

Mover should not leave behind empty folders, although if for some reason they are there it should be safe to remove them.